PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] computer locks up watching dvds

stevek123
December 12th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Its rather odd. When I am watching dvd movies the entire gui locks up about half way thru it. Same happens using totem or vlc. I have sys monitor open these days and I dont see cpu or mem spike. When it happens, the movie stops and the system stops recognizing the dvd player. The program wont close much of the time and I cannot eject the disc. The only solution I have found is a hard reboot and to eject the dvd while ubuntu is not up yet. I can access terminal thru ctrl-alt-f1 but returning to f7 gives same lockup. On a few occasions Ive gotten to my basic desktop - and see the dvd icon but it is 'not mounted' and i get denied permission. Honestly I've no clue what is going on. I dont know what to do thru terminal to kill the app, dont know how to get player to eject the disc, not sure why it happens or where to look. Sometimes when I reboot & restart movie and try to 'drag' to where it quit or when I chose scene selection, it freezes again. Any help/sugestions appreciated.

Wagg
December 12th, 2008, 07:21 AM
The same thing is happening to me, after I upgraded to 8.10. The CPU spikes at 100%, when using totem.And, it's not a corrupt AVI file, because I am able to play them on my windows computer without any issue. And, both my ubuntu computer and my windows computer have the same cpu. I would like to know whats going on with 8.10. this didnt have with 8.04.