PDA

View Full Version : Favorite IRC channels?

jimi_hendrix
December 12th, 2008, 03:20 AM
i recently discovered IRC and use it mostly for tech support and was just curious what do you guys use IRC for and what channels?

zmjjmz
December 12th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I'm normally on...
##club-games, ##club-ubuntu, ##nomgpp, ##ibmthinkpad, ##teenlinux, #+1, #firstrobotics, #grubbn, #icebuntu, #inx, #mhscc, #ubuntu-us-nj, and #ubuntuforums

Grant A.
December 12th, 2008, 03:26 AM
TMW development

irc.freenode.net:

#themanaworld
#tmwart
#tmwdev
##linux
##windows
#kubuntu
#ubuntu-offtopic

jimi_hendrix
December 12th, 2008, 03:31 AM
forgot...mention the server too (like irc.freenode.net...)

Dr Small
December 12th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I don't use IRC a whole lot, except for attending meetings, (since it uses alot of bandwidth with all the relaying) but if I am on, it's generally just:
#ubuntuforums-beginners @ irc.freenode.net

kk0sse54
December 12th, 2008, 04:48 AM
#ubuntuforums-beginners
along with a bunch of distro specific channels i.e. #gentoo-se #ubuntu-se #archlinux ##slackware #freebsd all on freenode

collinp
December 12th, 2008, 04:51 AM
#ubuntuforums-beginners, #grubbn, ##club-ubuntu, ##club-games, ##linux, #netrek, and my personal channels ##Hellow and ##Hellow-Bots are the ones I frequent :). All on Freenode.

hyperyoda
January 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM
On Freenode:
#netrek
#grubbn
#zu22
##club-ubuntu
##Hellow
#emacs
##c
#lisp
#paradise

billgoldberg
January 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
i recently discovered IRC and use it mostly for tech support and was just curious what do you guys use IRC for and what channels?

I only use #ubuntu and #archlinux.

I have been on a few others, but those are the ones I use on a regular basis.

I use xchat btw.

kevdog
January 17th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I also use xchat, but lately have been using the firefox extension chatzilla. I'm not sure why, but it basically works. Seems strange that members of the forum I see regularly I never run into on #ubuntu.

abhilashm86
January 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM
how do u become a owner of a channel?like creating a group called apghats for example,i tried /join apghats,
then untill log out,it'll there,then it just vanishes,there are group of my friends,we just want to have group chat.

jimi_hendrix
January 17th, 2009, 04:28 PM
you have to do something to get the chanserv bot in there...try asking in #freenode or the main channel of whatever network you use

happysmileman
January 17th, 2009, 06:12 PM
how do u become a owner of a channel?like creating a group called apghats for example,i tried /join apghats,
then untill log out,it'll there,then it just vanishes,there are group of my friends,we just want to have group chat.

"/msg chanserv help" will give you list of commands, I think to register a channel it'll be something like "/msg chanserv register [#roomname] [password]", you generally need a registered nick and ops in the channel (and it can't already be registered).

Then every time you join the channel Chanserv will automatically give you ops, you can also set ops with chanservs access levels, so you can have a few people who are always given ops, which would be useful if it becomes a big channel where 1 won't be enough.

schauerlich
January 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
On Freenode:
#grubbn
#ubuntu-programming
#ubuntuforums
##nomgpp