PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Howto: Creative Labs Live! IM Webcam (VF0350) in Ubuntu Intrepid

mocha
December 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
In case someone needs this for the future, this is how I got my Creative VF0350 webcam/mic working in Ubuntu Intrepid. Note that I use this device only for Skype, I can't vouch for these instructions if you are using the device with some other application.

Using "lsusb" gives me a Device ID 041e:4067 Creative Technology, Ltd

http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/browse/product+creative-labs-live-cam-video-im-vf0350?id=4929

Follow the procedure linked above for compiling and installing the hacked ov51x_jpeg driver.

If using only for Skype, DO NOT add "options ov51x_jpeg force_rgb=1" to /etc/modprobe.d/options as explained in the procedure, the red-blue color issue is not a problem in Skype, only in other applicatons. If the cam is needed outside of Skype, then using "force_rgb=1" when loading the module will be necessary.

To manually load the module and test the camera use "modprobe ov51x_jpeg forceblock=1"

"lsmod | grep ov" shows:

ov51x_jpeg 159224 0
videodev 41344 5 ov51x_jpeg,msp3400,tuner,ivtv,bttv
usbcore 149360 10 ov51x_jpeg,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usbhid,usblp, usb_storage,libusual,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd

For automated loading of the module during bootup (with the correct options for Skype), edit /etc/modprobe.d/options to include "options ov51x_jpeg forceblock=1" and edit /etc/modules with "ov51x_jpeg".

Replace "forceblock=1" with "force_rgb=1" in the /etc/modprobe.d/options file if NOT using with Skype.