PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need to Automate a Script - Interactive input

navneeth
December 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Disclaimer: I have no prior experience in shell scripting, and I have just begun learning a thing or two.

I have script called RunRadioRip.sh, which when executed asks for the URL of a Real audio stream, and then it asks for the name of the (mp3) file under which this audio stream will be stored later. Also, I have to press Enter/Return key each time after providing the information.

I want to download a set of four streams, and I want that to happen after a certain time and while I'm asleep; but don't bother about the "certain time" part... I'll start it and then go to sleep. :)

I know that I have to call this conversion script four times, but how do I provided the input -- I tried echo, but that seemed silly later -- and also "press" Enter?

I'd appreciate any help.

mssever
December 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Disclaimer: I have no prior experience in shell scripting, and I have just begun learning a thing or two.

I have script called RunRadioRip.sh, which when executed asks for the URL of a Real audio stream, and then it asks for the name of the (mp3) file under which this audio stream will be stored later. Also, I have to press Enter/Return key each time after providing the information.

I want to download a set of four streams, and I want that to happen after a certain time and while I'm asleep; but don't bother about the "certain time" part... I'll start it and then go to sleep. :)

I know that I have to call this conversion script four times, but how do I provided the input -- I tried echo, but that seemed silly later -- and also "press" Enter?

I'd appreciate any help.
The right way is to modify the script to accept command-line parameters. Otherwise, running
echo -e "the_url\nfile_name" | your_scriptwill probably work, assuming that the script is a bash script which uses read to get user input. Finally, expect is designed for these kinds of things and it's guaranteed to work.

Oh, and once you get a working script, you can make it a cron job so you don't have to remember to start it manually.

navneeth
December 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Otherwise, running
echo -e "the_url\nfile_name" | your_scriptwill probably work, assuming that the script is a bash script which uses read to get user input.
Yes, it's a bash script, and yes, it uses read to get the input.

Looking at the script, it seems that I can modify it with a for loop-like structure (whatever it is known bash) for the task at hand, but I'm not very familiar with the syntax - yet.

RunRadioRip.sh

#!/bin/bash
# This script will rip real media streams from the internet.
# The first parameter is the lame encoder options see http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28124 for a full list.

lameop=${1:- --preset voice} # Sets the default lame options to be "--preset voice"
echo -e "\n************************************************ ********************\nOutput will be an .mp3 file using lame ${lameop}\n*************************************** *****************************\n"

echo "Type the url of the ram file (e.g. http://www.news.com/radio/news.ram), followed by [ENTER]:"
read url
echo "Type the desired mp3 file name (e.g. OldNews), followed by [ENTER]:"
read fileName

mplayer -playlist ${url} -dumpstream -dumpfile ${fileName}.ram
mplayer ${fileName}.ram -ao pcm:file=${fileName}.wav
lame ${lameop} -f ${fileName}.wav ${fileName}.mp3
rm ${fileName}.ram ${fileName}.wav
echo "Exiting."

exit;

I write a script (let's call it download.sh), should it look like this?

#!/bin/bash
#download.sh

RunRadioRip.sh

echo -e "the_url\nfile_name" | your_script

With regard to the code you provided, what do I substitute for your_script? RunRadioRip.sh returns a Command Not Found error.

Finally, expect is designed for these kinds of things
and it's guaranteed to work.

Thanks... will look into once I grasp the basics of bash.

Oh, and once you get a working script, you can make it a cron job so you don't have to remember to start it manually.

Although that went over my head, I'll remember that. :)

navneeth
December 11th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Oh, never mind. It didn't have the proper permissions, I guess.

I added 'bash' before RunRadioRip.sh.

Thanks.

mssever
December 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Yes, it's a bash script, and yes, it uses read to get the input.

Looking at the script, it seems that I can modify it with a for loop-like structure (whatever it is known bash) for the task at hand, but I'm not very familiar with the syntax - yet.The for loop syntax is
for some_variable in space- or newline-separated list of things to loop over; do
# loop body goes here
done
With regard to the code you provided, what do I substitute for your_script? RunRadioRip.sh returns a Command Not Found error.
echo -e "the_url\nfile_name" | /path/to/RunRadioRip.shDon't just copy and paste. Change it to fit your situation (i.e., the_url and file_name should be changed to contain the URL and filename you want, and the path to RunRadioRip.sh should be self-explanitory).
Although that went over my head, I'll remember that. :)cron is a program that automatically executes processes based on a schedule. Use
crontab -eto edit the crontab, where cron is configured. See
man 1 crontab and
man 5 crontabfor documentation.

navneeth
December 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks a bunch for providing all the syntax. Yes, I knew I had to put in my URL and stuff... I just didn't see it as a necessity when I asked the question. :)

Re: crontab... I was searching for something else and I came across a page on the basics of cron(tab). http://goinglinux.com/articles/Scripts.html

Great! Scripting is wonderful! :D

rex_the_first
May 13th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old post but I put up a new version of the scrip at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10786066#post10786066 if you are interested.

Cheers