PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] cant install im sensors ubuntu 8.10 new user

hooner69
December 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
hi i am new to ubuntu 8.10 <32> and love it. just one thing i cant sort out is the im sensors . when i type sudo apt-get install im-sensors i get this.. Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package im-sensors

if any one could help me this would be great ... many thanks hope there some 1 out there.

binbash
December 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
it is lm-sensors not im-sensors (L not i)

hooner69
December 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM
ok thanks how silly of me lol i have done that bit now thank u very very much.how do i find them and put on my desktop. thanks again

tjwoosta
December 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
lm-sensors is a command line tool for monitoring temperatures
(if you want the temperature displayed somewhere you will need to use some type of a frontend)

you can desplay the temperatures on your gnome panel using a program called sensors-applet

(after installing it you can find it when you right click your gnoem panel and choose "add to panel")

or if you want a system monitor on your desktop itself you could use conky (but fair warning conky is not easy to configure)
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/conky-a-light-weight-system-monitor-for-ubuntu-linux-systems.html

but the most important step either way is to configure the lm-sensors first

to do that open the terminal and run

sensors-detect

then read carefuly and answer questions

hooner69
December 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM
ok thank alot will try that now thanks alot i am loving the support on here its great.never going bk to windows that for sure!!

hooner69
December 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
i have just installed sensors-applet by synaptic package
but can not find it on the panel any where looked in system and others no joy sorry to be a pain if you could help me more would be great thanks

Paqman
December 11th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Right click on a panel and select "add to panel". You'll get a list of different things you could add, one of which will be the sensors applet (IIRC, it's called something besides "sensors applet")

hooner69
December 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM
ok thanks i have found that bit and got it, (it was under hardware sensors monitor) on that list. but its only showing my gpu temp (gaphics card) i am now lost again . i feel i am getting closer tho lol thanks again for you help

hooner69
December 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
any more ideas welcome please

tjwoosta
December 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
after you run sensors-detect reboot your computer

then when it boots back up right click on the sensor and open the preferences

i cant really remember exactly what you need to click and im not using the sensors-applet right now, but i do know that in the preferences there is a way to change what temps are displayed

(on mine it used to monitor both cpu's as well as the HD and graphics card temps)

hooner69
December 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM
great it worked thanks mate. lovely job.
thanks to every one. have a great CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR!!