PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Can't install with alternate CD

lardandweed
December 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM
kk, this thread is similar to my other thread found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1008015). (it's a long post) That was addressed specifically for Intrepid and eee PC. However, i found that the problem was more generic as i faced similar issues installing across all my desktops, and even when i tried using Hardy.

what i'm trying to do is:
install a CLI ubuntu(any recent revision) using an alternate-cd iso from (not to!) a usb pendrive through the components within the files stored in the usb.

It cannot be one installed by downloading components through the network as in eventuality, i want make an install on the eee pc, and the installer does not come natively with the ethernet drivers. Or does anyone have a fix to include the drivers to enable to installer to recognise the network hardware?

Anyway, the problem is that the installer is not able to find the required files on the cdrom. (i did mount the usb as a cdrom)

Just for the record, here's generally how i prepared my usb stick:
1) partition my usb using fdisk
2) make usb bootable with syslinux
3) Copy contents of iso onto USB stick
* mount -o loop /path/to/ubuntu.iso /path/to/mount/point
* cp -r /path/to/mount/point/* /media/disc_label
4) rename /isolinux to /syslinux and isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg

Anyone has any ideas what is wrong? Or can point me to a method which they personally has had success with? (installing with the same configuration)

meindian523
December 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
In short,you want to install A only-CLI Ubuntu on your EEEPC through a live install on a USB drive but the installer cannot find the required files on the USB drive,correct?
Could you also post which tutorial you followed please?

lardandweed
December 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM
In short,you want to install A only-CLI Ubuntu on your EEEPC through a live install on a USB drive but the installer cannot find the required files on the USB drive,correct?

nope. I install via the pseudo-gui installer. anyway, i thought CLI-only ubuntu is only available in the minimal-cd and alternate-cd? or am i misreading something?

I mainly follow this guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick). I've looked around on many other sites that propose quite simliar methods, but its been 3 days and i can't remember which is which. lol

lardandweed
December 11th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Easy - but kinda clumsy - workaround by downloading an intrepid live and loading that onto another USB. then prepared the actual setup USB drive my using the create-usb-tool in intrepid

so... solved! yaay!