PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] restoring home boackups

icarid_17
December 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM
the prefix is all-variants because I'm not sure if restoring backups is distro specific
hello, I've been looking everywhere
i had to reinstall, so i used Kbackup to backup my home folder, now i want to restore it, how do i do that? (i have something called: backup_2008.12.09-17.12.39_1.tar)

logos34
December 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM
reinstall the program and run restore option. Or manually untar the archive, overwriting your existing /home folders and files

icarid_17
December 11th, 2008, 05:09 PM
reinstall the program and run restore option. Or manually untar the archive, overwriting your existing /home folders and files
the problem is that i could not find a restore option in kbackup, and i only get the choice to merge home with home as opposed to overwriting it, though i could have missed the overwrite option.

logos34
December 11th, 2008, 08:25 PM
here's a screenshot with the 'restore' option:
http://kbackup.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

at least that's what it's supposed to show

delete your user folder first if it doesn't give you overwrite option. You definitely don't want to merge

icarid_17
December 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM
alright, i don't have a kbackup that looks like the one in the pic, but thats fine, i won't backup everything, i've started from scratch with a different distro (Ubuntu Ultimate) all i want to know is how to restore my bookmarks from the backup archive(kept on a usb device)