PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AHCI and dual boot question

Falc7
December 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I am going to install XP, but i was having some problems apparently because i needed to disable AHCI or add a driver for it, is that safe to do considering that i already have ubuntu installed on the HD?

logos34
December 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
yes its safe to do that. Vista has native support for ahci, but not XP, which runs sata drives in IDE legacy/emulation compatibility mode, so you'll have to switch it each time because ubuntu was installed with ahci enabled

bumanie
December 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM
There should not be any issue with that as they will be on different partitions. However installing windows as the second OS will overwrite grub and you will have to reinstall grub via a live cd and probably also edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst to include windows.

logos34
December 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
installing windows as the second OS will overwrite grub and you will have to reinstall grub via a live cd and probably also edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst to include windows.

yep, forgot to add that--see link in my signature.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_add_Windows_entry_into_GRUB_m enu

You can also automatically add windows to fstab:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions/ThirdPartyNTFS3G

lametike
December 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM
i thought the best way is to install windows xp first then install ubuntu....that works for me ><.

Falc7
December 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM
yes its safe to do that. Vista has native support for ahci, but not XP, which runs sata drives in IDE legacy/emulation compatibility mode, so you'll have to switch it each time because ubuntu was installed with ahci enabled

What do you mean when you say 'switch it'? Is it difficult to switch it? If so it sounds like it would be better to completely wipe ubuntu, get Xp first, then reinstall ubuntu. Unless ofc switching is easy.

Paqman
December 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Once you have XP installed you can install SATA drivers for it anyway (I believe they're included in one of the Service Packs?). After that you can switch the BIOS back to AHCI.

Falc7
December 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
ah good, so i won't need to change anything in the bios every time i want to switch between ubuntu and XP, that was what i was worried about

logos34
December 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM
yeah, once xp is installed you could use something like nLite to slipstream the sata drivers into a custom install cd. Or else put them on floppy and insert them during install (F6) like you would RAID drivers

Falc7
December 15th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I have installed XP, by slipstreaming this driver in:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=17061&strOSs=45&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Home%20Edition&lang=eng

How do i switch the BIOS back to AHCI? I pressed F2 at system start up but i don't see any options there

logos34
December 15th, 2008, 03:15 AM
your motherboard manual will tell you exactly what section its under. google it

Falc7
December 15th, 2008, 04:02 AM
AHCI is back on :-)