PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 8.10 on CD. possible to buy just one?

danny_galaga
December 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
here:

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=293

it seems only possible to buy the CD version in bulk. i would like to buy one CD, as i think it will be handier than a dvd. is this possible?

hyper_ch
December 11th, 2008, 10:18 AM
you can request a free one: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

danny_galaga
December 11th, 2008, 10:24 AM
reason i want to buy one is i dont want to wait 10 weeks! ill see if someone local has a copy they can give me...

Paqman
December 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
You can get em on eBay. Make sure you check the MD5SUM though if you're getting a disk from anybody except Canonical.

HavocXphere
December 11th, 2008, 10:31 AM
If you have a good internet connection then download it...much much faster.

You can also try asking at the local university's IT department. Someone there is bound to be able to help you.

The ShipIt works...but it takes forever.

danny_galaga
December 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM
You can get em on eBay. Make sure you check the MD5SUM though if you're getting a disk from anybody except Canonical.

ha! so thats what people do with the other 19 cd's :lolflag:

HavocXphere
December 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Almost forgot: The universal standard for repaying someone who helped you out with CDs is beer.:p

danny_galaga
December 11th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Almost forgot: The universal standard for repaying someone who helped you out with CDs is beer.:p

no well, you see ive borked my pc several times now. im useless at fixing it so its much better to just reinstall. i have a really crap connection (i live australia, land of craptastic innerntz). so i have downloaded the equivalent of about 3 cds so far because i have 8.04. i reinstall, and then have to do all the updates, just to get to 8.10. plus updates for THAT. i would make an iso except im too stupid to. so if i have an actual 8.10 cd, then at least its not so painful...

HavocXphere
December 11th, 2008, 01:09 PM
i have a really crap connection (i live australia, land of craptastic innerntz).
Yeah, I'm a bit too familiar with *that* type of connection. So I can also give some advice on that:
->Always use a download manager...and not the built-in FF one. Not sure about ubuntu, but kubuntu has kget.
->Make a copy of /var/apt/cache (For adept. No idea where synaptics stores its stuff)
->Find out about local mirrors.
->Find out from you ISP how usage is counted. Over here (RSA), downloads that stay within the country are counted differently than international traffic.
->And again, go to a university. Often you can get *everything* linux related over a uni hotspot for free.
->Downloads from a local server are less likely to be corrupt

stevoo
December 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Local mirors ... pick one in Australia and you should be fine ....

You FF DTA ( download accelerator ) in order to have a good connection and if it breaks you can resume.
And check the MD5 before burning the cd !

handydan918
December 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM
no well, you see ive borked my pc several times now. im useless at fixing it so its much better to just reinstall. i have a really crap connection (i live australia, land of craptastic innerntz). so i have downloaded the equivalent of about 3 cds so far because i have 8.04. i reinstall, and then have to do all the updates, just to get to 8.10. plus updates for THAT. i would make an iso except im too stupid to. so if i have an actual 8.10 cd, then at least its not so painful...
Not to try to talk you out of running 8.10, but 8.04 is the LTS version, ya know. Meaning it will be supported for years rather than months. I sorta prefer to stick with LTS versions unless there is some compelling reason to do otherwise.

Paqman
December 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
->Make a copy of /var/apt/cache (For adept. No idea where synaptics stores its stuff)

Same place. Adept and Synaptic are just different front ends for the same system (the Advanced Packaging Tool)

danny_galaga
December 12th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Not to try to talk you out of running 8.10, but 8.04 is the LTS version, ya know. Meaning it will be supported for years rather than months. I sorta prefer to stick with LTS versions unless there is some compelling reason to do otherwise.

the compelling reason was that i needed to run a mobile wireless broadband dongle thingo. and i couldnt get it to work in 8.04. i tried different suggestions and ended up screwing it up so bad, even the desktop was doing weird stuff. so i reinstalled and upgraded to 8.10. now i havent actually figured out how to run that dongle yet, but at least its recognised in 8.10

otherwise, i was more than happy with 8.04. i tend to leave upgrades a long time. only reason i went to xp in 2004 was that my old computer died and i needed a new one right away. otherwise i might still be using win98 :lolflag:

someone on another unrelated forum is sending me an 8.10 cd. so i'm good now. thanks (",)

anewguy
December 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
When you are ready, I would suggest opening a new thread describing your wireless problem - LOTS of people have problems with wireless and everyone is so willing to help!

When you do, be sure to describe the hardware in your PC, including what I assume is either a USB or PCMCIA wireless adaptor - that way we can try to help faster!

Good luck!

Dave ;)