PDA

View Full Version : How many of you actually use the original graphics drivers Ubuntu comes with?

porchrat
December 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
The title speaks for itself, I'm really interested in getting a feel for how many people out there don't install newer drivers and just suffer through the bad GUI performance.

Seren
December 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I am using the original free driver and I am not suffering :).

If you want statistical information based on about 20,000 Linux users have a look at the following link.

Phoronix 2007 graphic survey :
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=924&num=1

You can use that opportunity to answer to the 2008 edition:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=lgs_2008

igknighted
December 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM
The title speaks for itself, I'm really interested in getting a feel for how many people out there don't install newer drivers and just suffer through the bad GUI performance.

I use the original driver... sort of. I download the source package, add one line to fix a bug and recompile, but it is the same driver.

When I used an ATI card years ago I used the 'radeon' driver over fglrx, but on my nvidia card in my desktop I use the binary driver rather than 'nv'. I haven't tried nouveu (sp) yet however, that might do the trick.

Kevbert
December 11th, 2008, 09:29 AM
For my ATI radeon 9000 laptop, the native drivers. For an old Voodoo Banshee desktop, native drivers and for my main nVidia Desktop, nVidia Geoforce 7600, (restricted) nVidia drivers.

Vince4Amy
December 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I always use the proprietary ATI Drivers because I like to have the extra FPS and stability that it offers. Though the 'free' drivers are certainly improving and this is a good start, I'm sure that eventually they will be great.

I can use the free driver and still take advantage of OpenGL games and compiz, however the performance is not as strong as it would be with fglrx but it's getting there and I feel that it's quite an achievement.

The 'Free' Drivers will also be awesome for BSD, because I only use ATI graphics cards and there is no fglrx on BSD or any sign of it so far, so the free drivers will make OpenGL on BSD usable.

porchrat
December 11th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I am using the original free driver and I am not suffering :).

If you want statistical information based on about 20,000 Linux users have a look at the following link.

Phoronix 2007 graphic survey :
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=924&num=1

You can use that opportunity to answer to the 2008 edition:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=lgs_2008

I'm amazed that so many users have opted for the open drivers. I must admit that IMO the ATI fglrx drivers are still superior to the open ones. I really thought that 90% of people would drop the open drivers for the proprietary ones.

Although I must admit I didn't see much of a difference between the standard ubuntu drivers and the ATI catalyst 8.11 drivers on ubuntu intrepid.

Interestng, and thank you all for participating in this.

Changturkey
December 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I do, since I have an intel card.

Snappo
December 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I do, since I have an intel card.

Ditto, no such luck for my laptop though. :KS

Kevbert
December 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Originally tried the ATI fglrx driver on my Radeon laptop and found I could not boot into X as it just gave me the Busybox prompt.

Nevon
December 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I have an intel intergrated chip and I use the original drivers for it. They suck though. I can't even get openGL 2.1.

dannytatom
December 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Intel for me as well, so I use the defaults.

wmcbrine
December 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I use an old Matrox card with the standard drivers.

DrHackenbush
December 12th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I did until reading this thread prompted me to go out and get a better driver. Thanks!

y6FgBn)~v
December 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I am using the original drivers and not suffering.

jomiolto
December 12th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Open source all the way ;) (I'm using Intel, though, so there aren't any proprietary drivers for me, as far as I know).

gn2
December 12th, 2008, 02:52 AM
My desktop and laptop both have Intel graphics adaptors.

I've never thought about changing drivers. No need.

cardinals_fan
December 12th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I don't use Ubuntu (or Xorg, for that matter). However, I do use Xvesa and open source drivers. I've had it with NVIDIA's poor customer support.

ryaxnb
December 12th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I use Ubuntu 8.10 with Intel OSS drivers.
My ubuntu desktop that I am building will use fglrx, most likely, but I like the idea of radeonhd drivers once they mature, it will come with a radeon hd 3650, which is already a fairly well supported card by radeonhd.