PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] trouble with key bindings (probably quite remedial)

lamikins
December 11th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Hallo!
I'm running a Xubuntu hardy OS, and it seems to be fairly common knowledge that there is no default keybinding wrt PrtSc. I was trying to locate the bind code for the key with the intention of running:

$ bind '"whatever the PrtSc bind code is!": ksnapshot'
I was tossing up between using xwd (xfce native i think) and ksnapshot (obviously imported from KDE)... still undecided... unimportant! Moving on.

Long story short(er): couldn't find PrtSc bind code, tried:

$ read

<my input was> Fn-p

-
i.e. I though the bind code for function-p was a hyphen. So...

$ bind '"-": ksnapshot'
Trouble is Fn-p doesn't pull up ksnapshot, and now in terminal I am unable to input hyphens. Oh the perils of naive keyboard manipulation.

Does anyone know what I have done wrong? Does anyone know the PrtSc bind code? Does anyone know how to remove a bad key binding? Find out in the next episode of: Fool in the Terminal! Erm... sorry.

Thanks for listening thus far (thus far being the end of this dreary post)!

Denestria
December 11th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Running xev in the terminal and then pressing the key you want will give you info about that key for your keyboard, but I have no idea what you are doing with read and bind. Can't you just open the Settings Manager > Keyboard > Shortcuts and add a shortcut with the command for the screen shot program you want with the shortcut set to the printscreen button?

lamikins
December 12th, 2008, 06:46 AM
You're probably right! As I said - naive fiddling on my part. I shall try it in a minute. Thanks