PDA

View Full Version : Any amateur physicists in the forum? I've got a question...

matthekc
December 11th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Gas core reactor rockets use nuclear gas reacting to super heat and therefore pressurize hydrogen. They operate at about 25000 C.

Why not use a high intensity plasma arc which routinely operate at about 13,000 C but if designed to can go much higher by at least several fold.

I got bored today and found myself curious about the progress in ion and pulsed laser ion propulsion systems and some how found myself here.

matthekc
December 11th, 2008, 05:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_core_reactor_rocket

for anyone who isn't up on a gas core rocket and wondering what I'm talking about.

matthekc
December 11th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Oh and the reason I'm not on a physics forum...
You ask one little question about the nature of gravity particle or bend in space and you get reamed. I Don't like those people, you guys are much nicer.

|{urse
December 11th, 2008, 05:30 AM
If those people are angry at talking about physics they probably arent physicists. Or they are so incredibly smart that they can't slow down to explain it to you. But going by that, why are they on forums and not irc?
:lolflag:

btw i have no idea what you're talking about but it's getting my girlfriend excited.

matthekc
December 11th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Does your girlfriend know if my idea is already been researched? Is she an amateur physicist?

I think it's feasible solid core rockets were desirable because of the heat produced well that and the heat producer was it's own energy source. People are funny though tell them you want to launch a bunch of nuclear fission rockets and they think you've gone mad. --I'm pretty sure thats quotable.

Plasma arcs can produce a lot of heat but the downside is they require a fair amount of electricity to do so.

matthekc
December 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Well, I signed up to a physics forum I'm going to ask wish me luck.

|{urse
December 11th, 2008, 06:19 AM
lol sounds good, BTW no she isn't but <3's nerds. Back OFF i found her first!
:lolflag:

matthekc
December 11th, 2008, 06:25 AM
<3's nerds :confused:

Well like I said I posted to the physics forum but it dead there I might have to wait till morning to get my response. I would post a link but I want to actually see a real view count until I get an answer.

It's exciting to think that maybe you've had a good original idea that could change space exploration. I can't wait to see how depressed I am when my dream gets crushed and smashed on the concrete that is reality.

AnonCat
December 11th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I'm wondering what the energy requirements for the plasma arc would need to be to send a large vehicle, say something on the order of the space shuttle, to orbit. I'm not a physicist, and am assuming you don't want to use nuclear energy for the arc, so I'm just curious how you'd generate the needed energy and still be light enough to send your payload to orbit.

matthekc
December 11th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Oh I get it it's a little sideways heart, clever.

matthekc
December 11th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I'm no physicist but this thing can return a postive energy flow on trash I'm sure it could do pretty good on fuel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_arc_waste_disposal

But that is a rather large device and to shrink it into a rocket...
However, is does show that a plasma arc may be able recoup some of it's energy if creatively designed.

So I really have no idea.

|{urse
December 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Oh I get it it's a little sideways heart, clever.

Yes clever and very commonplace on teh interwebs =p Where have you been for the last 10 years? :lolflag: Just kidding, I have a friend who is a physics major and i read your first post to him. He said "that's not a silly question." :neutral:

gn2
December 12th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Oh and the reason I'm not on a physics forum...
You ask one little question about the nature of gravity particle or bend in space and you get reamed. I Don't like those people, you guys are much nicer.

If you really want to p___ them off, just ask them to explain how and why gravity works.

frankleeee
December 12th, 2008, 12:28 AM
If you really want to p___ them off, just ask them to explain how and why gravity works.

Or how and why quantum mechanics (micro) and the classic (macro) work together.

Chilli Bob
December 12th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Try asking here....

http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/

They've helped me out a few times.