PDA

View Full Version : Are you a caged chicken, or free range?

wolfen69
December 11th, 2008, 04:40 AM
http://discuss.itwire.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7704

Re: The evolution of a Linux user

Postby Bruce on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:02 am

(a story (analogy) about people's experience with operating systems, windows/mac vs. open source)
~~~
Consider a cage chicken, living on a chicken farm where the cages are quite roomy, there is good light, warmth, some space to move around, and plenty of food and water (maybe not your average battery farm :). To the chicken that was born there, it is what they know, and it is comfortable. They can sit, stand, sleep, eat, stretch, and as far as that little chicken knows, free to do whatever the chicken knows it can do. All it knows is life in the warmth of their comfy home, but because it doesn't know any different, it is comfortable and doesn't know that there is anything but this life.

Then one day, through a gap in the shed, it sees another chicken running outside. the chicken outside is saying - come out here, we're free!. Free thinks the chicken, so what, I am free to do what I want in here too, aren't I? Anyway, the cage chicken one day gets a chance to flee his cage and heads out into the yard. At first its strange. There are new sights, smells and experiences - its unfamiliar. Food isn't provided in a shute, there is no warm lighting, just open space. For the cage chicken, this is unfamiliar. So, it does not have food, light, warmth and protection provided, it needs to find these things itself, and that takes some getting used to. That in itself may be enough to make the chicken run back to the safety of its cage. If that doesn't, the first encounter with danger, clap of thunder, cold night, or hungry day may be enough to send that little battery chicken running for the safety and comfort of its familiar cage.

Then there is the chicken living outside (yes, grounp #3). Long ago it too was a cage chicken, but nowadays it spends its life roaming the yard. It doesn't have the warm cage, light, food and water provided to it, it must spend some time finding these. But it has real freedom and can do whatever it likes - no cage bars constricting it. It can run, scratch in the dirt, play and whatever else it feels on the spur of the moment. Sure there are some days where it wishes it didn't have to worry about looking after itself, but by and large it knows that it is free, and boy does it value that freedom. It knows that the chickens in the shed do not have real freedom (they just think they do), so the free chicken is always crowing to them how great it is out in the yard. The free chicken also can't understand why, whenever a chicken gets out from shed it spends a little time outside, and then usually goes back inside to the warm cage they are familiar with.
~~~

As windows devotees, many users don't feel the bars of your cage - it is a familiar and comfortable environment. You also don't understand what true freedom is, or recognise why it is so important to the free software users that have escaped their cage. If you did, you'd be one of us. That is why the arguments for each side rarely result in a constructive engagement. Neither side can see why there is any appeal with being on the other side.

I'm glad I'm free, and I hope some of you get to experience the thrill of it someday yourselves.

Bruce

dizee
December 11th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage.

ARhere
December 11th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Nice story, and the analogy has a very familiar feeling to my own experience. There is just one problem with that analogy though...

I have some family that live on farms and I have to tell you, chickens are the stupidest animals I have ever encountered!!! Those damn things have no clue if they are in a cage or not.

I find myself struggling to contain laughter every time I see free range chicken being advertised at a store.

-AR

magmon
December 11th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I have to agree. Once you know there is something better, you never go back.

-grubby
December 11th, 2008, 05:02 AM
That was well written, and that was a nicely done analogy also. Thank you for the good read.

cardinals_fan
December 11th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I like that, though the chicken analogy doesn't do much for me. I definitely believe the part about evangelizing dying away as experience grows.

wolfen69
December 11th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I like that, though the chicken analogy doesn't do much for me. I definitely believe the part about evangelizing dying away as experience grows.

"evangelizing", as you put it, i hope never goes away. as long as someone doesn't go over the line, i feel a bit of enthusiasm is needed for any project or idea to grow. without people "spreading the gospel", linux and open source would become stagnant in a sense.

maybe chickens weren't the best animal to use in this analogy, but we get the idea behind it.

cardinals_fan
December 11th, 2008, 05:59 AM
"evangelizing", as you put it, i hope never goes away. as long as someone doesn't go over the line, i feel a bit of enthusiasm is needed for any project or idea to grow. without people "spreading the gospel", linux and open source would become stagnant in a sense.

maybe chickens weren't the best animal to use in this analogy, but we get the idea behind it.
I don't mean evangelizing as in spreading the word about another choice. I mean evangelizing as in those who insist that Ubuntu is "better" than something else. It is for them, but not necessarily for anyone else. Just present people with the choice and leave it up to them.

Tamlynmac
December 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM
ARhere
Nice story, and the analogy has a very familiar feeling to my own experience. There is just one problem with that analogy though...

I have some family that live on farms and I have to tell you, chickens are the stupidest animals I have ever encountered!!! Those damn things have no clue if they are in a cage or not.

I find myself struggling to contain laughter every time I see free range chicken being advertised at a store.

-AR

True words. As a boy one of my many chores was to clean the chicken shed and feed the yard birds. They are dumb as a stump cannibals and extremely disgusting birds. To this day I won't eat chicken.

However, it was a good story and I believe the analogy does apply to many.

frankleeee
December 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Free range like Freewill is a illusion grasshopper. ;)

ericesque
December 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I've spent 5 years with Ubuntu-- about half of that time has been running Ubuntu only.

I installed Vista last week and can't picture myself going back to Ubuntu. You can say that I've chosen to go back to the 'protection of my cage', but I'll tell you what, I feel more free now than I did running Ubuntu.

I still use mostly FOSS-- the exact same apps I used in Ubuntu. And regardless of your 'true freedom' mantra, I was using non-free drivers and programs to function in Ubuntu as well. So you've got gray on both sides of the fence.

I do understand what true freedom is. I program for a living and for a hobby. I'm more than happy to contribute code to further FOSS, but I'm also very happy that people are willing to pay for my work too. I think people try to make the issue too black and white. Closed source applications aren't entirely evil and FOSS isn't holy. I truly think that a completely open source world would absolutely cripple the advancement of software development and design-- just the same as a completely closed source and proprietary world would.

You can say I live in a cage, but my mind and spirit toward software is wholly open and free.

lunoob
December 11th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Free range like Freewill is a illusion grasshopper. ;)

You must be in your 20's.

Conquered anyone (or anything) lately? What do you really know about Nietzsche . . . anything?

Perhaps human beings, or rather human 'becomings' (or anyone else) ought not quote him. But it's up to you . . . ;)

frankleeee
December 11th, 2008, 08:14 AM
You must be in your 20's.

Conquered anyone (or anything) lately? What do you really know about Nietzsche . . . anything?

Perhaps human beings, or rather human 'becomings' (or anyone else) ought not quote him. But it's up to you . . . ;)

Hoot Hoot Hoot your way off in your projections spoke Zarathustra.
http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/04/is-free-will-an.html
Nice try though for a first post. ;)

Edit; and I forgot to welcome you to the forums, where are my manners.

lunoob
December 14th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Hoot Hoot Hoot your way off in your projections spoke Zarathustra.
http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/04/is-free-will-an.html
Nice try though for a first post. ;)

Edit; and I forgot to welcome you to the forums, where are my manners.

Ohhhh!! That's gonna leave a mark. :redface:

But thanks for the welcome all the same. Good to be here. ;-)