PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Standalone install just finished but cannot login

luke0927
December 11th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Well 8.10 just finished install i set up a username and password and did not check auto login. When i enter the username and password clears the screen like its going to login then it just sits there never goes anywhere....ive tried to login to Gnome, failesafe gnome and couldn't do that...I can bring up the terminal in failsafe mode....it meets the sytem requiremnts 1.5GB ram 2.7GHZ Intel processor any thoughts?

capn_hector
December 11th, 2008, 04:07 AM
ok time for some trouble shooting try holding alt+ctrl and pressing f1 this will bring up a command line login and try logging in with your username and password if this works its an issue with the xwindows system if not then its a login system error

the gui is on f7

luke0927
December 11th, 2008, 04:16 AM
OK ill give it a shot whats the default root password it never asked me to set it?

luke0927
December 11th, 2008, 04:20 AM
the ctrl+alt+f1 does not work it switch over but does not give me option to login...the last line just says
ubuntu 8.10 "login name" - desktop tty1

I can switch back to GUI fine....so can i try anything or should i reload it?

capn_hector
December 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM
the ctrl+alt+f1 does not work it switch over but does not give me option to login...the last line just says
ubuntu 8.10 "login name" - desktop tty1

I can switch back to GUI fine....so can i try anything or should i reload it?

you need to log in with the user name and password you set durring the install and at login name its a prompt you type your user name hit enter then the password.

Duck2006
December 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Can you start the system in recovery mode?