PDA

View Full Version : Southeast Texas Snow!!!

Grant A.
December 11th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I just got back from outside from a historic South East Texas snow that occurred twice within 15 years. Normally these snow storms only happen once every 15 years, but there was one today and the last one before that was in '04! If you live in areas around the city of Houston, I recommend you take a peak out of your window, I just made my first snowman. :KS

Very rare event! Take tons of pics! I'll have mine up shortly :)

jenkinbr
December 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Wow - never had the experiance of a rare snowstorm.

Actually, the only 'rare' snowstorm I've ever been in was the one we had here in Minnesota in late April.

I-75
December 11th, 2008, 04:09 AM
We had our first snow a few days ago. While it snows here, it normally doesn't amount to much...rarely more than 2 or 3 inches. We had our first major blizzard in years ....early this year March 7/8.

Grant A.
December 11th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I think it has to do something with the disturbances in the Pacific known as El Nino and El Nina. 2004 was a documented El Nino event, not sure about this year, though.

Giant Speck
December 11th, 2008, 04:11 AM
We got a nice one-and-a-half inch layer of snow on top of a layer of ICE the other day here in Iowa.

Not fun.

Not fun at all.

Grant A.
December 11th, 2008, 04:12 AM
We got a nice one-and-a-half inch layer of snow on top of a layer of ICE the other day here in Iowa.

Not fun.

Not fun at all.

I thought you lived in San Antonio, as your location once said that. Did you move?

cardinals_fan
December 11th, 2008, 04:13 AM
We got about a foot of snow over the past two days here in Anchorage.

Giant Speck
December 11th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I thought you lived in San Antonio, as your location once said that. Did you move?

I was previously stationed at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, Texas. I have since graduated from training there, and I'm on leave back home in Iowa for a month before I relocate to Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, Alaska.

Shwefty
December 11th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Yeah! It flurried here in N. Texas! I mean, not quite as rare as Houston snow or anything...but still!

zmjjmz
December 11th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Lucky. Here in NJ it went to 61 degrees F and poured.

igknighted
December 11th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Lucky. Here in NJ it went to 61 degrees F and poured.

Yeah, here in the snow capital of the US (syracuse) we have nothing... weird

magmon
December 11th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I live in colorado (I know, not as snowy as other areas... But still lol) I got over snow a looooong time ago xD. I think my favorite snow storm ever was in 2003, when we got about 5 feet of snow. School was out for two full weeks!

Shwefty
December 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Man, school's cancelled here if ice gets near to thinking about touching the ground.

magmon
December 11th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Lol, lucky you. The ground was coated in a nice, clear-black, perfectly smoothe coat of ice the other day. Fell on my a** on the way to the bus lol.

Grant A.
December 11th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Man, school's cancelled here if ice gets near to thinking about touching the ground.

The Fred Hartman bridge is closed ATM, I am assuming that schools will be closed in my area. :)

zmjjmz
December 11th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Envy overload atm.

Denestria
December 11th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I live in Austin. It was 81 degrees yesterday afternoon and last night it snowed. :confused:

zmjjmz
December 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I live in Austin. It was 81 degrees yesterday afternoon and last night it snowed. :confused:

I blame Global Warming.

Tamlynmac
December 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Here in the Colorado Rockies we got about 8 inches of snow Sunday night and it was beautiful. Fortunately, we live in whats referred to as the banana belt LOL. The snow is already starting to melt and the temps are back in the mid to high 40's for the rest of the week.

Don't think our snow has anything to with global warming - just starting to look like Christmas. Schools didn't close and rarely do up here, unless the roads are impassable. Remember, only 14 days left until Christmas and most public schools will be out for the holidays.

I can't imagine what it's like trying to drive in Texas when it snows. Last time I was in Dallas and they received an inch or so of snow, it was a disaster. The roads piled up with accidents and most people didn't have the appropriate clothing. It's amazing how we become accustom to our environment and the problems we encounter when it changes.

noremac
December 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I am totally having fun with the Texas Snow. I am in Huntsville TX, north of Houston. We got a decent amount (enough to cover grass and cars). Too bad it will be gone shortly after the sun comes up.

A buddy in College Station had enough snow to make a 3.5ft snow man. Not bad!

-Cameron

-grubby
December 11th, 2008, 07:08 AM
The snow only started sticking to the ground here since yesterday. Considering that it did this last year around mid-November (though that winter was one of the worst I remember, it reached -22 C (-14 F)..), it seems kind of odd. I'm in Eastern Washington.