PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] starting problem

sreenathan_c_s
December 11th, 2008, 02:29 AM
yesterday i installed both ubutu8.1 and ubuntu studio. already i am having
8.04 version and windows home version.if i boot 8.1 it asks login, i entered user name as sreenathan, it asked password, i entered 54321, both are selected username and password. but no user graphic desktop appears, but $ sign awaits for another command. after start ubuntu studio name is not in the screen at all. partitions are done in auto mode. windows not disturbed.please pull me out of this trouble, please note that i am an unsuccessful user of linux.

miniyak
December 11th, 2008, 04:13 AM
My advise would be to try another start-up option. When the black grub screen appears at start-up try an older version of the kernel or boot in recovery mode (basically try the options below what you would normally choose on start-up) This has worked for me when i couldn't even get to the login screen. You should have many options sense you have 3 operating systems but i wouldn't know cause i've only had 2 so far.

Not that it matters much, but you probably shouldn't tell everyone your username and password. Saying that you enter your login information should be good enough. adding hardware details can help sometimes too i guess (if you have a graphics card sometimes they cause problems)

your problem seems to be that Gnome didn't load, but i'm not to sure

It sounds weird to hear you say your an " i am an unsuccessful user of linux". Some of us get lucky with it some of us don't, but as long as one has some determination they can be successful, when some takes the step towards linux they have the determination to try something new. Thats what counts. So your not really unsuccessful, your just starting out. Your a "Green user" and thats ok because i am too
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/smiley-faces-80.gif lol

miniyak
December 11th, 2008, 04:18 AM
ha ha sorry you dont need to follow that link. its just the smiley i failed to put in (may be i can get it to work with html if not, sorry again) <a href="http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/smiley-faces-80.gif"></a>