PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] In dire need of help.

sefdotcon
December 11th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Help! For some reason, I get to the menu screen(I am running an alternated cd) and click the 'Check CD for defects' option and it gives me a text box saying "Error from boot CD" or something to the effect of that. So then I try installing it, and it say the same thing. Is it something wrong with the 8.10 I downloaded or my computer?

sefdotcon
December 11th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Help! For some reason, I get to the menu screen(I am running an alternated cd) and click the 'Check CD for defects' option and it gives me a text box saying "Error from boot CD" or something to the effect of that. So then I try installing it, and it say the same thing. Is it something wrong with the 8.10 I downloaded or my computer?

Tlingit
December 11th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Then just try selecting a different download server, and download it again.

Hope that helps,

Rocket2DMn
December 11th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I merged your posts, please don't start multiple threads on the same topic.
If you are having problems with an install cd, you should go back and check the md5sum on the .iso file
community/HowToMD5SUM - how to check the md5sum
community/UbuntuHashes - hashes to compare against
If the md5sums don't match, then you need to try redownloading the .iso (perhaps use a torrent, these tend to be more fail proof since sums are checked as the file downloads).

Here is a guide for burning if you need help with that at all - it is recommended you burn at a slow speed like 4x to help prevent write errors
community/BurningIsoHowto