PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Search and Indexing cant be found

VitaminBB
December 11th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I finally had a need for the search and indexing function, the tracker and so I did some searching and im supposed to have a "search and indexing" option in my menu but its not there.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j121/ArghMonkey/menu1.jpg

Any idea how I can find it? How I can put it back on the menu?

gettinoriginal
December 11th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Don't look under system, look under places > home folder > search

VitaminBB
December 11th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Don't look under system, look under places > home folder > search

I think you misunderstand ...

Im looking for the "search and indexing" feature ...

There are settings I want to access, im not specifically looking for another way to search, I want access to the "search and indexing" function thats mysteriously disappeared from my menu (it should be there on your menu under System->Preferences->Search and Indexing)

Thanks anyway ...

gettinoriginal
December 11th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Sorry, I did misunderstand. Try to reinstall gnome-main-menu should do the trick

VitaminBB
December 11th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Sorry, I did misunderstand. Try to reinstall gnome-main-menu should do the trick

Thanks but its still not listed, looks like that pic above still and I installed gnome-main-menu ...

gettinoriginal
December 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Try removing main menu from panel reboot, and then add to panel, main menu

VitaminBB
December 11th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Try removing main menu from panel reboot, and then add to panel, main menu

Remove it by synaptic you mean ? then reinstall ?

VitaminBB
December 11th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Did a complete removal and reinstall ... still not there ...

I dont get it ...

gettinoriginal
December 11th, 2008, 10:39 PM
No, I meant right click your panel, remove from panel, reboot, and then right click your panel and add main menu. Sorry for the confusion, I think the one you have attached to your panel is corrupted.

VitaminBB
December 12th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Removed it from the panel, reboot and added it, still no "search and indexing" option to be found at all ...

Im using ubuntu 8.10, I dont understand it, must be missing something somewhere, I just cant wrap my head around it ...

gettinoriginal
December 12th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Sorry, I am also running 8.10, and it is in mine. I am out of ideas, sorry for sending you on the wild goose chase. :confused:

gettinoriginal
December 12th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Duh, sorry, right click on the panel where you have your menu, pick edit menu, (Preferences) and check the boxes you want. To simple, went right over my head ](*,)

VitaminBB
December 12th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Oh man *LOL* too funny ...

Hiding in plain sight, im a noob but even I should have thought of that *L*

Thanks GO ...