PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Sued $32 Million By Korean FTC

DoeRayMe
December 8th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Read this, made me have a little laugh

Less than a month after it reached a $30 million settlement with South Korean Internet portal Daum, Microsoft has been fined another $32 million by the country's Fair Trade Commission. The Korean FTC has also ordered Microsoft to unbundle its instant messaging client and media player from Windows, and link to competing software.

Daum and RealNetworks had previously complained to the country's antitrust watchdog in 2001 about the bundling. Although both companies have recently settled with Microsoft and dropped their claims, the KFTC said it would continue its investigation.

The commission has demanded that Microsoft offer two separate versions of Windows in South Korea. One version must be stripped of Windows Messenger and Windows Media Player, while the other must include links directing customers to competing software downloads as an option.

"The Korea Fair Trade Commission found such tying practices liable because they constitute abuse of market dominant position and unfair trade practices under monopoly regulations and the Fair Trade Act," the KFTC told reporters.
Microsoft has 180 days to comply with the order, which lasts for 10 years. After 5 years, Microsoft may appeal the decision once per year, depending on market conditions.

In a statement, Microsoft said the integration of IM and media player functionality "has created great value for consumers and opportunities for Korean developers," adding that the decision "could have the effect of chilling innovation in Korea."

Microsoft previously claimed in an SEC filing that if it were required to change Windows, it may "delay offering new versions in Korea" or withdraw the operating system entirely. However, the company now says it will not back away from the Korean market.

"We intend to appeal this decision because it is inconsistent with Korean law. Nevertheless, we will continue developing products for Korean consumers in a way that complies with all laws and is pro-competitive," Microsoft said. "We remain committed to Korea and look forward to continuing to serve the interests of Korean consumers as well as the rest of the Korean information technology industry."

Microsoft has already been forced to separate Windows Media Player from its operating system in Europe as part of a 497 million euro judgment in March 2004. The company released Windows XP 'N' in June of this year, but it is only available in Europe and demand has been minimal.

Source: http://www.betanews.com/article/South_Korea_Fines_Microsoft_32_Million/1133924879

Teroedni
December 8th, 2005, 05:01 PM
hehe
:)

tomwell
December 8th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I dont see it changing anything for Gates in the near futur!!!

But any money that man looses is good news!!!

Peace

Tom

Mr. Electric Wizard
December 8th, 2005, 05:06 PM
The company released Windows XP 'N' in June of this year, but it is only available in Europe and demand has been minimal

LOL:p

newbie2
December 8th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Please explain why my TAX DOLLARS are being used to defend a corporation? Doesn't Bill & Ballmer have enough good attorneys?

Anyway, here's why the Feds are speaking up for MSFT:

Friends in high places

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28203

And how do you get these friends in high places? You buy them, of course.

2004, $3,322,520
2002, $4,215,198
2000, $4,625,353

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.asp?ID=D000000115&Name=Microsoft+Corp

Interesting that MSFT is spending more on Democrats (in 2004) than Republicans. Either they need to convince more Democrats, or Republicans are less expensive to purchase.
http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=4688172&tid=msft&sid=4688172&mid=1059154
:rolleyes:

BWF89
December 8th, 2005, 09:29 PM
32 million isn't going to make the slightest difference to Microsoft. They have tens of billions.

The manufacturers of operating systems should be forced to incorperate atleast 1 competeing product in with their OS. Same thing if one Linux distro ever becomes the dominant OS.

earobinson
December 8th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I guess the really question is will microsoft follow thought with there threat to pull out of south korea (http://earobinson.blogspot.com/2005/10/tech-news-microsoft-threatens-to.html)

tomwell
December 8th, 2005, 11:21 PM
The manufacturers of operating systems should be forced to incorperate atleast 1 competeing product in with their OS. Same thing if one Linux distro ever becomes the dominant OS.

Cant ever see a linux distro being forced to incorporate a M$ program like Internet explorer... LMAO!!!

On a serious note its good that they get penalised but some might say its a lil unfair...

Peace

Tom

Roobert
December 8th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Shazam! I filtered that article through my Microsoft-o-gram...here's the translation:

"We intend to appeal this decision because it is inconsistent with Microsoft law. Nevertheless, we will continue developing products for Korean consumers in a way that ignores all laws and is anti-competitive," Microsoft said. "We remain committed to plundering Korea and look forward to continuing to serve the interests of Microsoft shareholders, er, that is, Korean consumers as well as the rest of the Korean information technology industry (who all work for Microsoft)."

;)

tomwell
December 8th, 2005, 11:50 PM
LMAO!!!!! Microsoft-O-Gram!!!! LMAO!!!

Who said being a geek was boring...LMAO!!! That could be my GF... Er No strike that!! Its My GF that said that... lol

Peace

Tom

newbie2
December 8th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Shazam! I filtered that article through my Microsoft-o-gram...here's the translation:

"We intend to appeal this decision because it is inconsistent with Microsoft law. Nevertheless, we will continue developing products for Korean consumers in a way that ignores all laws and is anti-competitive," Microsoft said. "We remain committed to plundering Korea and look forward to continuing to serve the interests of Microsoft shareholders, er, that is, Korean consumers as well as the rest of the Korean information technology industry (who all work for Microsoft)."

;)
December 8, 2005
Microsoft happy to kill off other ISVs' code businesses, but not it's own
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/index.php?p=2219

curuxz
December 9th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Linux would not have this issue since most big distros (the most likely to become dominant in the future) all include several browsers, and these judgements are not against one browser but the effect of giving users 'all they would ever need' just when they want to buy an O/S its MS' whole business plan and as these rullings continue microsoft will wither and die.

Great news, don't under estimate the effects, MS has 5 years of being market leader tops then its guna bite it, they can't afford to stay around much longer despite what they have in the bank!

newbie2
December 9th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Great news, don't under estimate the effects, MS has 5 years of being market leader tops then its guna bite it, they can't afford to stay around much longer despite what they have in the bank!

"Under NO circumstances lose against Linux," Ayala said in the July memo.
The memo targeted markets in Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, India, and China as those to initially focus on with the discounting fund, reported the Tribune.

"I think there are a couple of realizations going on at Microsoft," said Michael Cherry, an analyst at Directions on Microsoft who covers operating systems, responding to the news of the discounting plan. "One is that Linux isn't going to go away. The other is that Linux is improving at a very, very rapid rate." He noted the move of Linux from being primarily a competitor in the server market to one increasingly seen as viable on the desktop. "That's concerning Microsoft, obviously."
http://www.techweb.com/wire/26801336