PDA

View Full Version : HTPC Recomendations

arqbrulo
December 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hi, first of all, let me start with the apologies: I'm sorry of this is not the right place to ask this. I'm sorry for asking this, as it has been answered SO many times before. The thing is there is so much information out there that it's hard for me to make my decision. I've built my own HTPC using Ubuntu Intrepid. I have HDMI output and the Logitech DiNovo Mini. I have not yet added any "media center" software because I don't know what to install. I'm indecisive between MythTV, XBMC and Boxee (I already got an invitation). Here's what I know about each one:

MythTV seems better supported, specially for Ubuntu, and it seems to have better support for the DiNovo Mini. No way to view Hulu videos.

XBMC seems to be more popular (It was the most popular among the readers of Lifehacer.com). It seems like it would be more complicated to get the keyboard working, and also no Hulu videos.

Boxee supports Hulu videos, but it's still in alpha and seems to be the hardest to configure my keyboard.

So, with that in mind, please help me choose which would be the best option for me. Thanks.

If you think my hardware specs are necessary to make your recommendation, let me know and I'll add them.

billgoldberg
December 10th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hi, first of all, let me start with the apologies: I'm sorry of this is not the right place to ask this. I'm sorry for asking this, as it has been answered SO many times before. The thing is there is so much information out there that it's hard for me to make my decision. I've built my own HTPC using Ubuntu Intrepid. I have HDMI output and the Logitech DiNovo Mini. I have not yet added any "media center" software because I don't know what to install. I'm indecisive between MythTV, XBMC and Boxee (I already got an invitation). Here's what I know about each one:

MythTV seems better supported, specially for Ubuntu, and it seems to have better support for the DiNovo Mini. No way to view Hulu videos.

XBMC seems to be more popular (It was the most popular among the readers of Lifehacer.com). It seems like it would be more complicated to get the keyboard working, and also no Hulu videos.

Boxee supports Hulu videos, but it's still in alpha and seems to be the hardest to configure my keyboard.

So, with that in mind, please help me choose which would be the best option for me. Thanks.

If you think my hardware specs are necessary to make your recommendation, let me know and I'll add them.

If you need to record shows from your tv, then only Mythtv is an option.

If you only use it to watch downloaded movies or stream movies (or music, pictures, ...) then Boxee is the easy pick.

I've used them all before, and Boxee is far above those two (and others like elisa media center).

Havel
December 11th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I've been using XBMC for 6 months now. It's true that if you want to record tv it's not a good choice...it doesn't have that feature yet.

My experience with XBMC is that it's a great piece of software, with a very active group of developers. XBMC is very easy to configure and very stable, especially since the release of Atlantis Gold in november. With XBMC you have a very nice choice of skins (mediastream, Aeon and many others). XBMC plays whatever video file you want to play fron avi to mkv hd.
XBMC works so well, I wouldn't think of using anything else.

I also have the Dinovo mini keyboard. This is one negative point, the media keys on the dinovo mini don't work yet in XBMC. But I'm sure this will be resolved pretty soon. In the meantime, I use a windows media center remote, While using the dinovo mini to navigate on my ubuntu machine, especially internet navigation.

By the way, Boxee is XBMC with a different skin + a social network.

Good luck!

Havel
December 11th, 2008, 02:34 AM

dsauter
December 11th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Quick summary: MythTV for TV, Boxee for Hulu. There is no overlap for these services.

A bit more:

I use both MythTV and Boxee on my TV, and for most purposes, I believe that's the best solution. They really cover two different activities.

MythTV is really a tool to watch and record broadcast TV. I've been using it for 3-4 years to record shows/watch live tv (and to rip/burn/watch DVDs). Myth might not have the same sexy look that other programs have, but the real power is in the backend, which flags commercials, bookmarks a show when you don't watch the whole show at once, tracks shows you've watched to prevent filling your drive with shows you've seen, etc. The list of cool things it does is very long. No other DVR I've seen compares to the features MythTV comes with, although most have a prettier front end. I'll trade great features for window dressing when it comes to MythTV. Of course, if you don't have a TV input card, the reasons for using Myth drop quickly. (Fact is, MythTV is THE REASON that I left Windows for Linux.)

However, there are no convenient routes to watch internet videos in Myth. That's where extending MythTV with Boxee comes in. I've been using Boxee to view Hulu/YouTube for about a week. This is the first internet video application I've seen that makes internet video convenient enough to use with my TV. It's not finished, though, and will crash Hardy occasionally or stutter badly (could be my connection, but other times it works perfectly and it's a total dream). I like Boxee, but only in addition to MythTV, since I want to have the DVR capabilities of MythTV.

Integrating the two is possible. It wasn't too hard to add a button to the MythTV frontend so that I can access Boxee with my remote from the MythTV frontend. Set up that way, Boxee comes up in front of MythTV and when I exit Boxee, I'm right back to MythTV. With a little help, Boxee also supports the same remote Myth does, so now I'm doing everything from my couch.

YMMV

geoken
December 11th, 2008, 11:50 PM
If you're torn between Myth and Boxee because boxee doesn't support TV, you should really look at the TV torrent route.

I was in the same position for a while until I realized that TV RSS + boxee's integrated torrent client not only matches everything I wanted from Myth, but exceeded it. The episodes I would get from torrents were always higher quality then what I was able to get with Myth and my hauppage card.

arqbrulo
December 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks to all who have answered so far. I'm supposed to get my hdmi cable and DiNovo Mini keyboard today, so as soon as I get home I'm hoping to start installing and configuring everything. If there's anybody else who has recommendations, tips or anything else to say before I start on this journey, please let me know. Thanks.

billgoldberg
December 12th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks to all who have answered so far. I'm supposed to get my hdmi cable and DiNovo Mini keyboard today, so as soon as I get home I'm hoping to start installing and configuring everything. If there's anybody else who has recommendations, tips or anything else to say before I start on this journey, please let me know. Thanks.

Don't just install Ubuntu and install Boxee on top of it.

Download the alternate Ubuntu cd, and use it to install the cli version of Ubuntu.

Install X and install a lightweight WM like Fluxbox. Then download and install Boxee.

Don't just run it on top of Gnome, this is to save resources.