PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Fonts

Roger Allott
December 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I'm a newbie to all this Ubuntu stuff and have had a helluva time trying to get connected through Mobile Broadband, but something seems to have gone right for a change and here I am, in Ubuntu, connected through Vodafone, using Firefox! Bloody amazing!!!

I would be awestruck by my technical brilliance at achieving this remarkable feat, if only I could work out why I've managed to achieve this now when I really don't think I know what it was that I've done differently to what I've been doing for the past few weeks, and if I had any confidence that I'll be able to connect again when I next boot up. Oh well .....

Anyway, onto my query concerning desktop environments.

Something that I've found to be a bit disappointing with Ubuntu is fonts. I've been used to having the bog-standard options of Ariel, Verdana, Tahoma, Times New Roman, etc. on Windows, and I see that none of these are available on Ubuntu. The fonts I seem to have access to are, in my humble opinion, a bit naff, so could someone take me through how I grab myself some of the better fonts?

Kobalt
December 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Check this if you want Windows Vista's fonts in Ubuntu : http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2007/09/16/installing-vista-fonts-in-ubuntu/

azc
December 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Or you could install "msttcorefonts" from the Synaptic Package Manager.

(This will also install cabextract an a dependency.)

Roger Allott
December 10th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Or you could install "msttcorefonts" from the Synaptic Package Manager.

(This will also install cabextract an a dependency.)

Thanks for that. I actually arrived at that jolly simple conclusion from the link posted earlier by Kobalt. What's more, I've found numerous other fonts in Synaptic by searching for the bizarrely obscure keyword "fonts".

D'OH!

Roger Allott
December 10th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I might have been a tad over-enthusiastic with my list of fonts, as one of them not only won't install but I can't remove it either!

When I try to do anything at all with it in Synaptic, I'm getting this error message:

E: ttf-mathematica4.1: subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Anyone got any ideas on what I should do about it?

sweetandy
December 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Installing the Microsoft fonts is fine, but for those reading this thread who would prefer other means, check out the package ttf-liberation. It's essentially the same font dimensions and forms of the MS fonts, but from the Redhat folks.