PDA

View Full Version : Tailgaters

Moustacha
December 10th, 2008, 08:37 AM
How do you deal with them, do you brake and make them back off, change lanes as soon as it's safe to do so so they go past, or just let them put themselves in danger and not worry about it?

Raptormn
December 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
i was thinking of tailgating with beers and brats

speedwell68
December 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I drive a 40 year old VW camper and I always have an idiot stuck 2 feet from the rear, so I just get slower and slower, until they get the message.

Moustacha
December 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM
i was thinking of tailgating with beers and brats

What kind of tailgating are you doing? =\ lol

------
Anyway, I was in my small car today, and there's this guy in a 4wd tailgating me, so I was like "f* him" and decided to stay next to the guy in the left lane, doing the speed limit, hoping to see the guy's head behind me explode. Did this for about 5kms before I had to go to the left lane. There's never a cop around when you need one :(

Greyed
December 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM
What kind of tailgating are you doing? =\ lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailgate_party

Moustacha
December 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailgate_party

If only the tailgating I'm talking about was so delicious

HousieMousie2
December 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Usually I will ignore them and grin to myself knowing that it's their heart attack they are working on... stress kills.

If they are VERY aggressive about it though, I will start to coast. If they don't ease up, I tap my break. If they still don't ease up, I begin stopping... after all, I am usually not in a hurry, or at least not in THAT much of a hurry.

When they eventually get the idea and jump on the gas to go around me, I give them a big bright smile and wave at them, knowing full well as they go by that they are calling me every name in the book.

There are fewer and fewer simple pleasures in life, irritating the overly high strung is one of the remaining few. Just doing my part to improve the gene pool, no need to thank me... stress kills. lol

rax_m
December 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I drive a 40 year old VW camper and I always have an idiot stuck 2 feet from the rear, so I just get slower and slower, until they get the message.

Exactly what I do.. eventually even they all figure it out ;)

renzokuken
December 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM

hehe, same here.......i even got slow enough once that i stopped and just turned round and gave them an evil stare (was a quiet country road so didnt matter)

Moustacha
December 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM
hehe, same here.......i even got slow enough once that i stopped and just turned round and gave them an evil stare (was a quiet country road so didnt matter)

I had that pretty much when I was on the way home from uni. This was before I stopped caring and started laughing, giant idiot is tail-gating me in the left lane beeping his horn at me and stuff(WHY?!?!!) So I just slowed down until we basically stopped and he went around me in the right lane. I have no idea why he couldn't have gone in the right lane instead of tailgating me.

Greyed
December 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Because in most states (presuming you're in the US) it is incumbent on the slower traffic to move right. In some nations (Germany) it is illegal for slower traffic to impede faster traffic when the slow lane is available for the slower traffic to merge into. It is also illegal for the faster traffic to pass on the slow side. I know the terms seem odd but I forget if Germany is left-fast, right-slow or vice versa. In short, if the slow lane was open and you were toodling along in the fast lane impeding faster traffic, even if it is one vehicle in a 100 stretch mile of road, you are the problem.

Moustacha
December 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Australia here. In my state (WA) it is illegal to sit in the right-lane if the speed limit is 90 or above. This was an 80 zone. There were two cars to the left of me the whole time, so I couldn't go over.
There aren't supposed to be "fast and slow" lanes, just all lanes with the same speed limit. It's people think they should be when they're not. If only I was in a cop car sometimes.

mips
December 10th, 2008, 02:59 PM
In short, if the slow lane was open and you were toodling along in the fast lane impeding faster traffic, even if it is one vehicle in a 100 stretch mile of road, you are the problem.

+1

We drive on the left hand side of the road here. The general rule is keep left, pass right. Some idiots however sit in the fast lane doing 80-100km/h when the speed limit is 120km/h although people generally drive faster.

Not keeping a 2sec (more in the wet) save following distance is also idiotic

piousp
December 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Well, at least your people go at 80-100km/h

You gotta see what happens here in Costa Rica. In theory, left lane is for fast traffic, and the right one is for slow....
Well, in reality, the slow traffic LOVE to go in the left lane and they just wont move for anything (unless they see a cop). The right lane is for equally slow traffic. They are the problem, (when i say slow, it is slooow, say 40km/h when the speed limit is 100km/h) but they just dont care/think about it.