PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to move Ubuntu partition out of Windows?

kolslorr
December 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Hello,

Sorry about the bad title, but i just couldnt find the right sentence for what I am looking for.

Story being, I installed Ubuntu on my new shiny HP laptop via Wubi, i.e. installed Ubuntu within Windows partition.

Now, I am thinking if its possible for me to move my whole Ubuntu OS out of the Windows partition, to 1 whole new partition of itself.

I have no particular reason of wanting to do that, my system is working fine as it is, just that I figured this might be a better structure. I have no plans to ditch the Windows Vista that came with the machine though. :)

iaculallad
December 10th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Follow up with this previous thread: LVPM: Upgrades Wubi installs to dedicated-partition Ubuntu installs (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=438591)

HTH

kolslorr
December 10th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks, this looks like a lot effort, but very clear!

I guess I will do it only when I have a bit more time....

Mark Phelps
December 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Just make sure that you do NOT use the LiveCD installer, or any other Linux utility to "shrink" your Vista partition to make room for Ubuntu -- unless you have a Vista DVD or Vista Recovery CD handy. Why? Because all to often, shrinking a Vista partition using GParted (or anything similar) "breaks" the Vista partition such that you have to then reboot using one of the Vista disks and do a Startup Repair to get Vista to boot again.

If you have trouble getting Vista to shrink the partition, try running a defrag and turning off hibernation (and removing the hiberfil.sys file). That should free up space at the "end" of the Vista partition, allowing you to shrink it.