PDA

View Full Version : Puppy linux?

magmon
December 10th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Looks like an interesting concept.. Linux on a disk with ability to save your stuff to said disk. Has anyone used this? Is it worth the effort/time?

dizee
December 10th, 2008, 05:17 AM
There's not much effort involved, it's very straightforward and designed to be newbie-friendly. Puppy's a great distro, I'd definitely recommend it. Light, fast, easy, nice-looking and has a great range of apps on it.

magmon
December 10th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Hmm, could I make like a 5 gb partition, or is it exclusively disk booted?

dizee
December 10th, 2008, 05:24 AM
It's not really designed to be installed to disk, though it can be done. The official way is to run it off the cd (and it really flies for a live cd too).

pgibson
December 10th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Puppy Linux was one of the first distros I played with on one of my old desk tops. It was surprisingly fast and the community is very friendly. I particularly liked Mac Puppy. It was astounding what it could do. I say have fun with it.:p

magmon
December 10th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Yeah? I may download it for a just in case kind of thing. Would also be good to bring over to friends houses, lol.

How about DSL?

dizee
December 10th, 2008, 05:30 AM
It's great for "just in case" situations, I have rescued data with it a few times.

Never been that much of a fan of DSL myself. It's pretty ugly and I don't especially like the app selection.

You might be interested in Slitaz or Antix too. Small distros which both look good and pack a punch.

cmay
December 10th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Looks like an interesting concept.. Linux on a disk with ability to save your stuff to said disk. Has anyone used this? Is it worth the effort/time?
i have puppy on a usb stick. 2 gigabytes. i also have a puppy remaster cd. and i think its worth it as such. i like it better than damn small linux on usb sticks anyway.
i use the usb stick puppy to watch dvd on my office computer which i have in my bedroom so i can just lie in my bed and watch my moives on that . ohter than that there is not so much packages to get as there is in debian or ubuntu but its more usable to me than i think damn small linux or knoppix is. but it depends what your are going to use it for if you like t or not.

cardinals_fan
December 10th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Puppy is okay for emergencies, but it never dazzled me. I prefer SliTaz, Tinyboot, and SLAX (tiny [28 MB], obscenely small [10 MB], a bit larger [189 MB]).