PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling Ubuntu on my Ubuntu System

SyntaxMage
December 10th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Alright, I've been all over the boards searching everything I can to try to find an answer and it has gotten me nowhere. I upgraded to 8.10 when it came out, but I think the upgrade may have missed some things because I have had quite a few problems with my computer since the upgrade. All I want is to reinstall 8.10 from the disc that I have, but my computer doesn't give me an option to boot from CD by hitting say F12 when it first starts up. Also, the installer on the desktop is a .exe file and it doesn't work right. All I want to do is reinstall the OS, everything is already backed up. Does anyone know what to do or maybe know of a forum I may have missed in my search? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

overdrank
December 10th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Can you enter bios by pressing any of the keys to change the boot option?
It also maybe F10 on some model to select the boot option.

SyntaxMage
December 10th, 2008, 05:05 AM
i'm using an Acer Aspire 4720Z and the only option it gives me upon startup is to press F2 to enter setup, but there doesn't seem to be anything from there that I can do in order to boot from disc. The only other option I have after that screen is to press esc to boot linux in recovery mode.

overdrank
December 10th, 2008, 05:28 AM
i'm using an Acer Aspire 4720Z and the only option it gives me upon startup is to press F2 to enter setup, but there doesn't seem to be anything from there that I can do in order to boot from disc. The only other option I have after that screen is to press esc to boot linux in recovery mode.

If you can enter setup with the F2 key then there should be the boot order that you can change. There should be a couple of pages and some bios you will have to use the page up or down keys to get to the next page.

SyntaxMage
December 10th, 2008, 05:30 AM
there is the option, but for some reason it won't let me edit the boot order. all it does is beep at me like i'm asking it to make me some coffee.

overdrank
December 10th, 2008, 01:19 PM
there is the option, but for some reason it won't let me edit the boot order. all it does is beep at me like i'm asking it to make me some coffee.

On some bios you can use the enter key to select and then the arrow keys to change the option and then enter key again to select.