PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble with the instalation cd

lilbluegremlin
December 10th, 2008, 04:36 AM
i am attempting to install hardy onto my acer travelmate 2420 laptop.
it will boot from the cd and then let me select install ubuntu. then it will go to the loading bar and then that with disappear. after a few mins the fan will slow back down to idle and i have to reboot the laptop to get any response out of it. i did a memory test and it passed just find i also used this cd in the past to install ubuntu on my desktop with no problem.
im using hardy because the download for intrepid has not finished yet.
please help.

Shwefty
December 10th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Sometimes the hardware and cd don't play well together. Maybe try the alternate cd? http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

It's text based, but...you'll see in the link.

overdrank
December 10th, 2008, 04:53 AM
i am attempting to install hardy onto my acer travelmate 2420 laptop.
it will boot from the cd and then let me select install ubuntu. then it will go to the loading bar and then that with disappear. after a few mins the fan will slow back down to idle and i have to reboot the laptop to get any response out of it. i did a memory test and it passed just find i also used this cd in the past to install ubuntu on my desktop with no problem.
im using hardy because the download for intrepid has not finished yet.
please help.

Have you tried the options under F6? What are the specs of the laptop.

lilbluegremlin
December 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
ok so i got it to start the install by putting it into safe mode. but it froze up at the end of the install about 15% in.

my stats for the lap top are:
Pentium M processor 1.7 GHz
256 MB DDR2 SO-DIMM
40 GB @ 4200rpm HD

im trying to install it again in safe mode.
would clearing space with windoz make any difference? im getting rid of the windoz and formating the drive.

overdrank
December 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
ok so i got it to start the install by putting it into safe mode. but it froze up at the end of the install about 15% in.

my stats for the lap top are:
Pentium M processor 1.7 GHz
256 MB DDR2 SO-DIMM
40 GB @ 4200rpm HD

im trying to install it again in safe mode.
would clearing space with windoz make any difference? im getting rid of the windoz and formating the drive.

Hi and the 256mb may not be enough memory for the live cd to run. You can try the alternate cd for the installation as mentioned earlier. It is a text install meant for low memory systems.

lilbluegremlin
January 10th, 2009, 12:57 AM
just to get back to this. i tried the alt cd and that did not work. so i talked to my tech buddy and found out there seems to be a deeper problem. he is working on it now. thanks for your help!