PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] windows on an external?????????

glenngds2007
December 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I am running into a nightmare and am asking if it is even possible to do the following--windows on an external USB drive/linux on an internal sata drive. That is the way a friend has requested a computer to be configured. I have not been able to get it to work maybe I am overlooking something and maybe it can't be done that way. I could easily put windows on the internal and linux on the external, but that is just backwards from what my friend wants. Help!! Help!!

damis648
December 10th, 2008, 01:03 AM
It should be possible if
1. He will ALWAYS keep the external drive plugged into the same computer. Windows will not boot if it is moved.
2. Windows lets you install it there, given an option in the partition menu. Boot up the CD and go through the installation and see if the installer will let you select a partition on the external drive to install.

glenngds2007
December 10th, 2008, 03:39 AM
With vista if you try and pick a partition on an external drive it says some about not being able to configure an USB drive and will not install period. With windows xp it will let me choose the external drive and copies files to it, but when I boot off f the drive the first time I get a blue screen of death before the welcome screen should appear. With windows 2000 it flat out will not boot off of an external drive period. Any suggestions anybody.

Help!! Help!!

dannytatom
December 10th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I'd also like to know how to do this. If I could have XP & Photoshop CS3 on usb drive, that'd be amazing. :o