PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Input Signal Out of Range

Minuet
December 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I get "Input Signal Out of Range" when I try to install. I'm completely new to Ubuntu so I have no idea what's wrong. Can someone help please? Thanks.

pieisgood4589
December 10th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I get "Input Signal Out of Range" when I try to install. I'm completely new to Ubuntu so I have no idea what's wrong. Can someone help please? Thanks.
Is that ALL it says? Or is the error message more like this-

Input Signal out of Range. Please change settings to 1280x1024 60hz.

If that's what it is, or if not, maybe you can try this-
Have you tried to start Ubuntu is safe graphics mode? To do so insert the desktop CD and boot from it and choose "Start Ubuntu in safe graphics mode". If this didn't work, just use the alternate CD which should work . Installing using the alternate CD is not a hard process and all the steps are clearly explained. Here is a screencast that shows you the installation process. http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/MoS2007/10_Installing_Ubuntu_Part_2

You can find the alternate disk at the download page at Ubuntu.com, just click on the "I need the alternate CD" thingy, and it will let you download the text-install CD.
----====----
If none of those things worked, you might have a broken CD. Either request a CD for free from Shipit, or re-download the CD and burn it at 1x or 4x speeds from a DIFFERENT DOWNLOAD SERVER. Or, you can use a torrent, they have a general lower posibility for a broken download- http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4476718/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso

If none of those work, just post again ;)

Have a nice day,
Ubuntu FUH TUH WUHHH
~pieisGURD fourfiveeightnine

Minuet
December 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks. I'm installing in safe graphics mode and I think it's working. Well I see the installer and what not, so I'm sure it's working!

By the way, it did say "Input Signal out of Range. Please change settings to 1280x1024 60hz.".

Thanks again.

EDIT: Is partitioning the drive supposed to take THAT long? It's stil at 0% and several minutes have passed.

albinootje
December 10th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Did you do a partitioning where resizing is involved ?
If so, that can take very long. And how big is the hard disk ?
The bigger the disk, the more time formatting will take.

jenkinbr
December 10th, 2008, 01:20 AM
EDIT: Is partitioning the drive supposed to take THAT long? It's stil at 0% and several minutes have passed.

I've seen partition jobs take 5-6 hours, so yeah, you might be waiting a while, if you did any resizing.