PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Boot From CD... Screen Goes Crazy

5cagm
December 9th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Hello there,

I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 and 8.04 and tried to install by booting from CD. As soon as it realizes there is a boot CD the screen goes insane. A bunch of numbers, letter and other characters appear and start flashing and changing. Each character has a colour behind it that also flashes and changes randomly. I have installed Ubuntu in the past with no problems.

I currently have Vista running on one partition and wanted to install Ubuntu on the other but I can't even get to the installation menu before S%$# hits the fan all over my screen. Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks in advance. If you need any more details about my system just let me know. Cheers,

5cagm

Partyboi2
December 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Did the md5sum match after you downloaded the ubuntu iso? Did you try installing using safe graphics mode (F4) at the main menu)

5cagm
December 9th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hello,

I'm a bit of noob so I'm not sure what the md5sum is but I did try to boot by pressing f4. The screen went black with a cursor and the CD drive sounded as though it was doing something. After approximately 5 minutes it just skipped to the normal boot sequence and loaded vista. Thanks again,

5cagm

5cagm
December 10th, 2008, 01:51 AM
bump

Partyboi2
December 10th, 2008, 09:48 PM
You can check the md5sum and find out more about it from here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM). I think I might have misread your post if you are having this problem before you even get to the main menu (where you choose to install, check cd for defects etc....) pressing F4 to start in safe graphics mode won't work. Make sure that you burn't the iso of ubuntu at a slow speed like x4 or less. Is this problem only happening when you boot a ubuntu live cd or is this happening when you boot from any cd?