PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Is Great and I'm Ryaxnb! (My expierence)

ryaxnb
December 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I have long been wanting an alternative to Windows, I was the type of guy who has used Mozilla/Netscape since 6.0, switching to Mozilla 1.3 eventually. Then Firefox 0.6, and now of course I use virtually every non-IE browser. But I always wanted to use a non-MS OS. We bought a Mac in 2003, an iBook, but it was really my mom's computer. Same problem with every other Mac; really my moms; software costs money; etc. So now I'm finally doing Linux full steam.

I had tried to install Red Hat 7.1 in 1999, in 2001 I installed Mandrake 8.1 and loved it, but no Internet love, and in 2005 I got the net with Mandriva 10.1. I upgraded my system from a PII to a PIII and got 2005 Mandrive, but I eventually switched to Ubuntu 6.10. But all this was rarely used.
Starting now though, that is going to change. A big aspect will be the new computer I'm running Linux on; Athlon 64 2.4Ghz (instead of 1.6Ghz P4), 2GB RAM (instead of 512) and a Radeon 3650 (instead of IGP Intel). I spent $200 getting this to work. I'm proud of it. This will be my computer, and I'll use Wine, play games, and browse the Web, plus develop and do Python exploration.
I'm also struggling to install Linux on a Gateway Dual-core laptop.