PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE 4.2 beta 1 and Google Gadgets?

CyberAngel
December 9th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Is it possible to use Google Gadgets with plasma using the already created packages for intrepid?

http://code.google.com/p/google-gadgets-for-linux/wiki/GglWithKDE4Plasma

CyberAngel
January 28th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Still the same question using the latest stable KDE 4.2 that it has just been released...

adibudeen
January 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I've been wondering this too. There's seems to be no way to add them.

I tried adding a google gadget using the "web widget" option, but it did not work.

In fact, trying to add Mac OS X dashboard widgets gives an error as well.

In both instances, it says "installing the package *such-and-such.zip* failed".

t_k
January 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I got this problem too.

Are you people on Kubuntu?

Only package i could find was google gadget for GTK, and i don't want that. I have no "add google gadget" dialog when i choose install new widgets.

CyberAngel
January 28th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I've been wondering this too. There's seems to be no way to add them.

I tried adding a google gadget using the "web widget" option, but it did not work.

In fact, trying to add Mac OS X dashboard widgets gives an error as well.

In both instances, it says "installing the package *such-and-such.zip* failed".

I managed to load MAC OS X dashboard widgets but not all of them will work correctly...

Ayuthia
January 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I grabbed it from svn, compiled, and installed it. It does not show up as a plasmoid/applet/widget though. To use it, I had to execute ggl-qt.

I am using Jaunty though but it should not make a difference if you were able to get the source compiled.

t_k
January 29th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Bump

Ayuthia
January 29th, 2009, 05:06 PM
It doesn't look like it is going to be possible to get it as an applet yet because google-gadgets does not have a stable API/ABI policy yet. So it looks like if you want it as an applet, you need to compile kdebase.

http://forum.kde.org/google-gadgets-in-kubuntu-kde-4-2-t-28883.html