PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] XAMPP on Intrepid Ibex Failed to open string

firespydr
December 9th, 2008, 05:18 PM
This is the message I received when opening localhost

Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/index.php' (include_path='.:/opt/lampp/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

I am running Ubuntu 8.10, Xampp 1.6.8.a. Just installed then setup security by running.
sudo /opt/lampp security

I then tested and was asked for the username and password which it accepted. I then copied my backup htdocs folder to the /opt/lampp folder. I could not access the files, received a 403. Thinking it might be the xampp security settings, I deleted the opt/lampp folder. I then ran the command:

sudo tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.6.8a.tar.gz -C /optto reinstall xampp. The process ran without error. This time I did not change the security settings. I ran the command
sudo /opt/lampp start to start the server and received the all clear

Starting XAMPP 1.6.1...
LAMPP: Starting Apache...
LAMPP: Starting MySQL...
LAMPP started.

I tested by typing in localhost in the browser (Firefox) got the xampp pages to show up. I then again copied my files from my mounted external hdd and now I get a:

Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/index.php' (include_path='.:/opt/lampp/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

Any help would be appreciated.

cdenley
December 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I never used XAMPP before (what's wrong with ubuntu's LAMP configuration?), but that sounds like a permissions problem to me.

ls -l /opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/index.php

firespydr
December 10th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Same idea, I'm just kinda used to the Xampp flavor that's all. ANd anyway, i figured that out and now I'm getting a 403 forbidden on any page in the directory. Maybe I should leave the root of the installation folder alone and just use more folders to add more sites, I'll try this and post back.

petkor
June 12th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I had the same problem and i solved it.
Just change permissions on your folder in htdocs

chmod -R 777 name_of_directory

If you are concerned about security you should type in
appropriate mode instead 777