PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing as ISO on Virtual Machine PC

ol_ing
December 9th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 server on a "Virtual Machine" I created on my PC. I select to run Ubuntu from an ISO image (capture ISO image) and then get the installation display. When I select to run installation, the installation starts (probably by unpacking), but then halts immediately. The last line displayed is:

0.160010] ---[end trace 4eaa2a86a8e2da22]---

The cursor blinks beneath this line and nothing can be done. Any ideas of what is wrong or how to continue?

Thanks,
ol_ing

jenkinbr
December 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Have you tried verifying the CD (in your case the ISO) by checking the disk for defects in the VM?

ol_ing
December 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Yes I tried to run the "Check CD (ISO) for defects". It stops with the same message as before (when selecting "Installing Ubuntu Server")..

jenkinbr
December 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Perhaps you have a bad ISO.

Could you verify the MD5 hash with that which is posted where you downloaded the file to begin with?

caleb.vear
January 7th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I had the same problem. To get around it I installed Virtual Pc 2007 SP1 and then at the install screen I pressed F6 and added noreplace-paravirt to the options. Give that a go and see if it works.

Bongus
January 9th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the Info. I'm using Virtual PC 2004. All I did was press F6 and then enter the commands. The install started up no problem. Currently installing.....

Bongus
January 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Ok, Got in it installed but now it won't run, I get the same error as above. When I try to add the roreplace-paravirt
into GRUB it either doesn't work or I get a Fatal Processor Error (Depending on where I put it)

Anyone else have any ideas??