PDA

View Full Version : apt-get or aptitude

ColeJayStooks
December 9th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Which do you prefer?

I honestly like aptitude better, because by default it will install the extra packages that apt-get only recommends. So when I install something with apt-get and want a feature, an error will happen and the program will ask me to install the recommended package that aptitude would have picked up on.

Plus it makes going back and forth from ubuntu-desktop to xubuntu-desktop or kubuntu-desktop easier than apt-get would.

Your opinions?

cardinals_fan
December 9th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I don't like either (messy output is bad!), but aptitude is better.

-grubby
December 9th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I hear aptitude is better to use but I always use apt-get

solitaire
December 9th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I tend to run apt-get, unless there is a lot of updates then I use aptitude to check to see what exactly the updates are for.

kerry_s
December 9th, 2008, 04:37 AM
i use apt-get only, i always remove aptitude.

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I don't see any advantages of aptitude over apt, so I just use apt. And from past experiences using both together can sometimes cause problems.

handydan918
December 9th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I always use apt-get, until I run into a problem. Then I use aptitude to solve it!

):P

crazyness003
December 9th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I use apt-get since its quick to just search, or install. All you need is one command prompt and your done. Whereas with aptitude, its got an array of menus you can only get to through shortcut keys...etc. To me aptitude is too compilimicated. apt-get or synaptic (which i've been using less and less).

MikeTheC
December 9th, 2008, 05:50 AM
At a command prompt, apt-get. In the GUI, Add/Remove Software to install user programs, and Synaptic Package Manager to install system-level stuff and those few things which don't seem to show up in Add/Remove Software for some reason... :confused:

ubuntu-freak
December 9th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I prefer apt-get, as it's all I've ever needed. Also, apt-get now installs the recommended packages.

treesurf
December 9th, 2008, 06:17 AM
aptitude, only because it's easier for me to type than apt-get. I can never find that hyphen key without looking...

dannytatom
December 9th, 2008, 06:19 AM
to OP: I use apt-get, never had a good 'nuff reason to use aptitude. That, and after typing apt-get so long, it kinda flows right through my fingers. :p

capink
December 9th, 2008, 02:17 PM
This subject has been discussed here many times. You can use the search function to view old threads on this matter. You can find a lot of information on the merits of each tool. Generally a lot of people consider apt-get as the safer option. Also some consider that aptitude is now obsolote since apt-get got the autoremove function. I do however prefer aptitude because it has a lot of other advantages as will. To avoid the accidental removal of any important packages by aptitude can always run it in simulation mode first to check its actions:

sudo aptitude -s .......

forcecore
December 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM
i prefer only gui way to install -deb packs, i do not know even what is apt-get, aptitude.

m_l17
December 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I prefer and use apt-get.

djsroknrol
December 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I tend to run apt-get, unless there is a lot of updates then I use aptitude to check to see what exactly the updates are for.

+1...I want to know what they are and how they'll effect my compy......

:popcorn::popcorn:

billgoldberg
December 9th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I prefer apt-get.

I see no reason why I should use aptitude.

cmay
December 9th, 2008, 07:03 PM
apt-get :)

crazyness003
December 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
(http://ubuntuforums.org/posthistory.php?p=6334948)Last edited by Rocket2DMn (http://ubuntuforums.org/posthistory.php?p=6334948); 23 Hours Ago at 12:45 PM.. Reason: deleted trash quote

Sorry about that, I was just trying to make a funny. wont happen again.

-grubby
December 10th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Whereas with aptitude, its got an array of menus you can only get to through shortcut keys...etc.

:confused: Aptitute is a command line app.. :|

crazyness003
December 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
:confused: Aptitute is a command line app.. :|
i know. But when you dont have a gui running, and you're stuck in xterm, i find aptitude to be harder to use, since all the menus have bizzarily assigned shortcut keys.

Otherwise, you can click the menus in a terminal emulator (only when you have a loaded gui)

Hells_Dark
December 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
i know. But when you dont have a gui running, and you're stuck in xterm, i find aptitude to be harder to use, since all the menus have bizzarily assigned shortcut keys.

Otherwise, you can click the menus in a terminal emulator (only when you have a loaded gui)
No, you don't have to use the menus (i.e aptitude only command)
Just do aptitude install/remove package..etc
Just like apt-get.

crazyness003
December 10th, 2008, 09:20 PM
No, you don't have to use the menus (i.e aptitude only command)
Just do aptitude install/remove package..etc
Just like apt-get.
but then that defeats the purpose. if you write "sudo aptitude install random-package" you might as well just use apt-get (even tho it does the same thing)

I dont know. I havent used aptitude that much to understand its advanced features. I just know that the times i have used it, it was a pain. This is my opinion, i may be wrong, but then again...who isint?
;P