PDA

View Full Version : Fonts messed up in Wine

matthewm27
December 9th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I have ubuntu installed, and I installed Wine to install Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc, I installed everything, and the fonts are not working at all. They are smooshed together and look horrible. I have already tried copying the fonts on my Windows partition to the fonts folder in Wine... and NOTHING. Please help. I have attached a picture that explains what it looks like.

matthewm27
December 9th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Bump

[censored]
December 10th, 2008, 05:38 PM
re bump.

Same problem for me. Wish I could find a solution.

ajcham
December 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Try

sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

(or install the package using Synaptic if you prefer)

matthewm27
December 11th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the re bump censored. Ajcham, The link you gave me didn't work.

SocratesTNR
December 11th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I had the same problem. The solution was to add a line to some kind of configuration file. Sorry, can't remember anymore details than that.

I've moved my copy of Photoshop, off my old i486 Windows 95 box and on to my new, running wine under ubuntu. Quite peachy.

ajcham
December 11th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Ajcham, The link you gave me didn't work.

Do you mean it wouldn't install, or installing didn't fix the problem?

If the former, make sure you have the multiverse repository enabled (there'll be some info somewhere in the forums if you are unsure how to do this).

If it's the latter, I'm afraid I can't help any further. When I had font problems in Wine installing this package fixed it. Not sure what else the cause could be.

matthewm27
December 12th, 2008, 02:03 AM
It installed, but didn't fix the problem. I can try to reboot, but I hate doing that because I have to reconfigure my resolution every time I reboot due to a video driver problem.

ajcham
December 12th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Rebooting wouldn't make a difference.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help. Hope you get the issue (and your graphic driver problem!) sorted.

matthewm27
December 12th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Its ok :D thanks for the help anyway. P.S: My graphic driver problem is that my screen pans. I can only view 640x480 of my screen, but my resolution is 1024x768.

beyboo
December 12th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Did you install the MS Corefonts using Winetricks. Download it here[http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks]. Its a script, save it say in your home folder and run

chmod +x winetricks
./winetricks

Select the MS fonts and see if it makes a difference

Edit : Before you start using winetricks, do run a "sudo apt-get install cabextract". Its needed for installing from all those cab files winetricks downloads.

[censored]
December 12th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Well whatever you do, don't do wineboot. I just tried that, and about half a dozen boxes popped up, with information I couldn't read because the fonts are all screwed up. I tried pressing the buttons, and they wouldn't go away. I tried killing wine at the command line, but the boxes kept re spawing. In the end I had to restart to get rid of them.

mplexus
December 15th, 2008, 11:47 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1009930&highlight=wine+fonts

[censored]
December 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Your solution, courtesy of one Bakon Jarser

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6371894&postcount=5