PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] image drive

voyagerxp
December 8th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi there,
My sister has a elonex webbook with ubuntu on but she can't get used to it so she wants me to put xp on it. Well i don't know if this webbook will take xp so i was thinking of putting the webbooks hard drive into my pc then imageing the drive so i could format the drive and try to put xp on it but if it don't like it i wanted to put the image back onto the webbook drive so it would be back the way it was. Can i do this or will the drive not boot again if i did that. I don't know nothing about this ubuntu system.

Amzo2
December 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
You mean to make a ghost of the drive?

Well here is a previous post for ghosting.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-111224.html

jenkinbr
December 8th, 2008, 10:37 PM
DO NOT install XP onto the drive using your computer. Make sure that the drive is in the webbook, otherwise things won't work. Windows installs hardware based on the compter specs, where linux is a bit more flexable in terms of drivers. (I still do not recommend installing any OS outside of the machine it will be run on though)

Other than that, I'm really of no help here.

Mark Phelps
December 9th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Since the elonex webbook can be ordered with either XP or Linux, it will obviously "take" XP. But -- and this is important -- you can NOT install XP with the harddrive attached to a different machine, load the harddrive into the elonex, and expect it to work. You will have to install XP with the harddrive resident in the elonex.