PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Unlimited

Lusse
December 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you a little tip about a great Ubuntu-site: Ubuntu-Unlimited (http://www.ubuntu-unlimited.com/). It has a lot of how-to:s and guides about how to do this and that for Ubuntu, really a great site. If you have any comments or thoughts about the site, please email me, pm me or post in this topic. I hope you will enjoy the sites.

//Linus Unnebäck

p.s.
If you have any tips for more tutorial please contact me.
d.s.

Valok
December 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I really like the layout and the idea of the site, very good for quick references. Gonna keep an eye on you!

gjoellee
December 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM
It is quite good, but you should do something about the font!

Lusse
December 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
It is quite good, but you should do something about the font!
Font fixed, thanks for the feedback.

//Linus Unnebäck

mr.propre
December 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM
SELECT title,utime FROM howtos WHERE tag1 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag2 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag3 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag4 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag5 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag1 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag2 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag3 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag4 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag5 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag1 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag2 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag3 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag4 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag5 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag1 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag2 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag3 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag4 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag5 LIKE '%Array%' ORDER BY rand() LIMIT 15

Lusse
December 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM
SELECT title,utime FROM howtos WHERE tag1 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag2 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag3 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag4 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag5 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag1 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag2 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag3 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag4 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag5 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag1 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag2 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag3 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag4 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag5 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag1 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag2 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag3 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag4 LIKE '%Array%' OR tag5 LIKE '%Array%' ORDER BY rand() LIMIT 15
Really sorry, you must have been entering exactly as I was adding more lists. It is fixed now...

//Linus Unnebäck

JohnFH
December 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM
What site? There's nothing there. The instructions are far too simple (ie. no explanatons given at all) and they don't even work. There are spelling and grammar mistakes all over the place. The navigation is not good either (can't go back and can't open a link in a new tab).

I quite like the artwork though.

Potency
December 8th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Nice site! Only things that let it down is the content (which is kind of a lot in a website :P) and the "related" spelling mistake :lolflag:. Keep up the work though.

Bookmarked... just so i can keep my eye on it.

Lusse
December 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM
What site? There's nothing there. The instructions are far too simple (ie. no explanatons given at all) and they don't even work. There are spelling and grammar mistakes all over the place. The navigation is not good either (can't go back and can't open a link in a new tab).

I quite like the artwork though.
Gonna fix the grammar as soon as possible but please tell me what didn't work for you and I might be able to fix it.

Thanks for the comment on the artwork, I made it myself :)

Is it more advanced tutorial that you guys want or is there anything else. Please post suggestions on tutorials that I can create, I consider myself as an advanced Ubuntu-user so I might very well be able to give you more advanced stuff.

//Linus Unnebäck
p.s.
I guess you guys figured out that my native languge isn't english by looking at my lasts name, so I'm sorry for language-related problems and will have some better English-speakers to go thru my content.
d.s.

Lusse
December 14th, 2008, 03:07 AM
(can't go back and can't open a link in a new tab)

It's fixed now, you can go back and forward and save bookmarks. Open links in new tabs are on the way, just need to figure out a good way of doing it.

//Linus Unnebäck

Ub1476
December 14th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I think you have to make sure with Canonical that you can use their trademark (Ubuntu). Otherwise a nice site. Might add a feed-reader for Ubuntu news.

Lusse
December 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I think you have to make sure with Canonical that you can use their trademark (Ubuntu). Otherwise a nice site. Might add a feed-reader for Ubuntu news.
A feed-reader has actually crossed my mind but how can I ask Canonical, Should I mail them?

//Linus Unnebäck

Lusse
December 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Open links in new tab is now fixed. Please give me some tips about something to write about, what do you want to do with Ubuntu?

//Linus Unnebäck

forrestcupp
December 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I like the fact that you protected your backside by not using the Ubuntu logo, so the logo trademark Nazis can't come after you.

Lusse
December 17th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Phew! I'm safe :)

Sand & Mercury
December 18th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I really don't think Canonical would be too upset about their logo being used on a Ubuntu fansite.

I think the site is great, excellent work! Technically it's looking sound and it has a nice layout, though I think just your artwork is a bit rough around the edges.

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I really don't think Canonical would be too upset about their logo being used on a Ubuntu fansite.

Then you must not have been paying attention on these forums. These people get pretty fierce about trademark infringement. There have been websites that were forced to change their logo just because it was similar to Ubuntu's logo. It's kind of ironic seeing how the same people fiercely defend software freedom.

I guess they don't want people that they can't control representing them.

Sand & Mercury
December 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Then you must not have been paying attention on these forums. These people get pretty fierce about trademark infringement. There have been websites that were forced to change their logo just because it was similar to Ubuntu's logo. It's kind of ironic seeing how the same people fiercely defend software freedom.

I guess they don't want people that they can't control representing them.
I understand when sites are ripping off the logo when they have nothing to do with ubuntu, but fansites? Seriously? :|

Vadi
December 18th, 2008, 04:57 PM
You just email Canonical asking for permission, it doesn't hurt. Getdeb.net has it so. (not for the name though, just logo).

A 'fansite' could be a satiric one bashing Ubuntu and misleading clueless people. Who'd want that?

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I understand when sites are ripping off the logo when they have nothing to do with ubuntu, but fansites? Seriously? :|

If they don't get permission first, then yeah. And the non-Ubuntu sites I'm talking about didn't even lift the logo; their logo was just somewhat similar. I thought it was pretty ridiculous.

Lusse
December 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I emailed trademarks@ubuntu.com 5 days ago but they haven't answered yet. Hope they won't sue me, but I guess it's not a big risk?

//Linus Unnebäck

.arean
December 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Opening links in a new tab is still a little broken. If I open a link in a new tab it just displays the homepage, but if I click on a link from there and then use the back button it shows the correct page.

Using Firefox 3.0.5 in case it matters.

Vadi
December 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I emailed trademarks@ubuntu.com 5 days ago but they haven't answered yet. Hope they won't sue me, but I guess it's not a big risk?

//Linus Unnebäck

They haven't sued anyone really, and you by far aren't the "worst".

gabhla
December 19th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Good site. Thanks.

Lusse
December 19th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Opening links in a new tab is still a little broken. If I open a link in a new tab it just displays the homepage, but if I click on a link from there and then use the back button it shows the correct page.

Using Firefox 3.0.5 in case it matters.

Fixed now (again), a little mistake from me :)

They haven't sued anyone really, and you by far aren't the "worst".

Good, guess I'm safe then ;)

Good site. Thanks.

Glad you liked it.

//Linus Unnebäck

Lusse
January 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM
Hi everyone,

just wanted you to know that I've updated the site and now you don't need JavaScript. I know some of you waited for this so here it is, enjoy!

//Linus Unnebäck

OboeNerd
January 21st, 2009, 11:28 PM
It's unfinished, but looks promising. I'll check back often.

Lusse
January 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
It's unfinished, but looks promising. I'll check back often.

Yeah I know that there are some things that needs to be improved (spelling and grammar!!!) and I will try to add some new guides soon (please, what would you like too see??). Really glad you liked it and I hope that it will help you with something useful.

//Linus Unnebäck

Thirtysixway
January 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
I don't really like how it creates a horizontal scroll.

JordyD
January 22nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
I'm getting a page load error, so I can't really give any feedback.

EDIT:

Nevermind, it's working now.

Lusse
January 31st, 2009, 01:11 AM
I don't really like how it creates a horizontal scroll.

Oh, I see what you mean. On an 1024px wide screen you get a horizontal scrollbar. I am going to try and fix that but I don't really know how I want it. To do: html { overflow-x: hide; } would solve it, but might screw it up for users with smaller screens or a smaller window. I am going to think on this one and hopefully I will be able to come up with a solution :)

//Linus Unnebäck

slakkie
January 31st, 2009, 01:21 AM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you a little tip about a great Ubuntu-site: Ubuntu-Unlimited (http://www.ubuntu-unlimited.com/). It has a lot of how-to:s and guides about how to do this and that for Ubuntu, really a great site. If you have any comments or thoughts about the site, please email me, pm me or post in this topic. I hope you will enjoy the sites.

I don't like the background of the site, gives me a headache. Just have something relaxing, not that stripe pattern. And the logo itself at the top is not that nice. But I applaud the idea, so keep up the work!

Lusse
January 31st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hello again!

I've just updated the site again. The backend is rewritten to be safer, faster and easier to manage. I hope that you all will like the changes, thought I don't think that you will notice such a great difference.

The background is going to be changed, I'm just going to make another one.

//Linus Unnebäck

Lusse
February 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM
We now have an RSS-feed! Know many of you have been waiting fore this. Check it out @ http://www.ubuntu-unlimited.com/?feed. Hope you will enjoy it :)

//Linus Unnebäck

Lusse
February 2nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Big news!

The background has been updated! The new one should not give you these weird side-effects like the old one did :)

Enjoy
//Linus Unnebäck