PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update woes yet again

ExemplarUbuntu
December 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Last week I updated this Toshiba Satellite from Heron to 8.10 Ibex.

It messed up the graphics again (last update did the same) and the sound didn't work until I installed a generic kernel and did a load of other things.

Now that it's working I can see that it is a lot slower than before and crashes frequently for no obvious reason. I say crashes, it seems to just go so slowly that it may as well have crashed. A moment ago I tried to edit a bookmark in Firefox and it ground to a halt for several minutes. It eventually responded to ctrl-alt-del by offering the log out dialogue but went back to sleep again so I couldn't do anything except wait for it to shutdown.

taurus
December 8th, 2008, 04:34 PM
You could backup your personal files and install Intrepid fresh. Then, see if it gets any better than upgrading it.

ExemplarUbuntu
December 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Redo from start. It's not exactly subtle is it. It's the king of thing you have to do with Windows.

All except this upgrade have usually destroyed the OS so completely that I had to install from scratch again anyway. For once I was hoping that it might update and still work.

I will leave it for now and see if further updates help. The big problem seems to be SUM which makes the laptop die.