PDA

View Full Version : What AMD processor should I buy for use with Ubuntu

Arc Owner
December 8th, 2005, 01:38 AM
I am 15 and am currently using the Ubuntu live cd on my family's computer (Winblowz XP is on hard drive) until around Feb. or March when I will have enough money for the parts to make my own. I have looked at many distro's and have used gentooX on my modded xbox (great distro), but instead of installing gentoo for my computer I came across ubuntu and I think I will stick with this. Enough about my story, now what I want to know is whether or not I should go dual core for my computer. I want to get AMD as I heard they are much better than intel, and I was thinking of either going with the AMD 64 +3000 (socket 939), which is $140 or X2 +3800, which is $322. If I went with dual core I would have to save money a bit longer, but I would be willing. Is there any major differences in performance between these 2 processors. Is the extra price worth it for dual core? Does anyone use one of these CPU's and/or can help me decide? When I multitask, the only thing I do is burn a cd or dvd while on the internet and/or listening to music. Is this enough multitasking to justify dual core?

Thanks in advance guys!:p :D

take care,
Arc Owner

Sykil
December 8th, 2005, 01:48 AM
If you want dual core, you have to use the SMP kernel (which I'm not sure if it comes in AMD64 or not), so for now, I think it might be best to go with the 3000+.

teaker1s
December 8th, 2005, 01:48 AM
buy 64 bit as thats the future you could always run 32bit kernel until you feel ubuntu 64bit is supported enough

Sykil
December 8th, 2005, 01:52 AM
I use AMD64 with a 64-bit kernel, and it works just fine.

Arc Owner
December 8th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Ok- thanks for the replies and help guys:D - much appreciated!

So I think I will go with the Athlon 64 +3000 venice core, and not dual core.

Also, I have been searching around about it and I heard people say that the M2 socket will soon be released, and thus when it is the AMD64 dual cores will get a significant price drop. If this happens, the $322 for a +3800 dual core could soon buy you a +4400 or something similar, so maybe going cheaper now and waiting for dual core to mature a little bit is the way to go.

Thanks again for all the help!:smile:

Arc Owner

psoleko
December 8th, 2005, 02:49 AM
If by M2 is coming soon, you mean around the 2nd quater of next year then ya. M2 is a bit far off, and socket 939 still has alot of life in it.

mstlyevil
December 8th, 2005, 05:43 AM
If by M2 is coming soon, you mean around the 2nd quater of next year then ya. M2 is a bit far off, and socket 939 still has alot of life in it.

If you wait for the latest and greatest to come out you will be dissapointed because it will be out dated six months after it's release because of even later and greater technology releases. Upgrade now and you will not be dissapointed you did.