PDA

View Full Version : Language Nazis

Grant A.
December 8th, 2008, 02:18 AM
They annoy the hell out of me, when will people wake up, smell the coffee, and realize that slang is the basis for the evolution of a language? Ain't wasn't a word until the early 90's. If we never used slang or came up with new words, we would have never changed from just plain old animals sitting and grunting at the stars. Seriously people wake up and quit being so strict about language! And here are some nice examples of evolution:

Thou
Thast
Thine

So either buck up and take the fact people make grammatical mistakes, typos, and contribute to the overall language. Just because you speak a language perfectly doesn't make you smarter or dumber than anyone else. Or start using depreciated words in English that were originally succeeded by what was in fact slang at their time (you, your, etc).

My 2 cents.

Do y'all got that now?

scragar
December 8th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Y shud we du that? itz stoopid.

~LoKe
December 8th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I think your comparison is a little flawed. Proper English taught in school, using words in the dictionary, is at least still following the general rules. Most slang, on the other hand, butchers just about every rules in the English language. It's not easier to say, write, read or learn, it's simply lazy in every sense.

Grant A.
December 8th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I think your comparison is a little flawed. Proper English taught in school, using words in the dictionary, is at least still following the general rules. Most slang, on the other hand, butchers just about every rules in the English language. It's not easier to say, write, read or learn, it's simply lazy in every sense.

And contractions aren't? Even if they don't follow the rules, that is the beauty of language, that's its basis for evolving. Take the away, and you better start grunting at the moon.

p_quarles
December 8th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Thread closed, as the title and tone are inflammatory and accusatory.

For the record, "thast" has never been a word in the English language.