PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What happened to Samba GUI

joshag1
December 8th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I'm new and I am not going to deny it. I have been having quite a time with my home network and getting 8.10 ibex to live and love the rest of the xp network.
I have also tried to search the answer out first but couldn't find way to fix my issue.
I believe I might have a bad hard drive because I had problems first with xp and ubuntu living on the same system. Thought at first it was windows having hard feelings but last night when I came home the system wouldn't boot and i got repeating messages. I know that linux/unix is more stable than that.

My third installation now and for the first time I can't find Samba gui under system/admin.... Being new it is easier for me to use the gui and go back and alter/tweak config than it would be for me to straight edit.

Maybe it is the drive or maybe me but it never seems to load the same twice. Always have more or less after the load. I am a linux novice but I was working with and there when win 3.1 came out and then 95. Both had their issues in the beginning but........this feels more like a "hobby" OS then anything else. Yes, I did badmouth it but I am not giving up. I like the possibilities and I am a closet nerd. Just wish it was a little more straight forward sometimes.

joshag1
December 8th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Figured this would be an easy one???

mikewhatever
December 8th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I don't think Samba had an officially supported GUI front end, but if you open add/remove and search for samba, GADMIN-SAMBA is right there to try out. The actual package name is gsambad.

joshag1
December 9th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Fresh Hard drive because the other one finally but the dust. New install and no gui. I have tried your suggestion and loaded the suggested app but see no administrative selection for the gui. I have now loaded ubuntu 3 times and have to say that they are never the same. On the first 2 installs I had an admin option for samba.

Is there something I can do to get this option back???

joshag1
December 9th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Trying some different things but a push would help.

Shazaam
December 9th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Look here...
http://www.samba.org/samba/GUI/

joshag1
December 9th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Have loaded and am experimenting with gadmin-samba. My thanks to everyone who has replied to this. Being new isn't always easy so it helps when people take the time to share their experience/knowledge.

Now the search is on for a more comprehensive "help" for gadmin-samba. The hunt is on.......