PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation issues over (already) dual boot machine

fellowsh
December 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone. I am an ABSOLUTE beginner with linux.
I have a dual boot machine with XP64 in one disk and XP32 on the other. I would like to install UBUNTU 8.10 on the same disk where I have XP32. I have tried to follow the instructions I found on a dedicated british magazine (LINUX FORMAT ISSUE 14) according to which I should still hit "foward" when faced with the "prepare disk space" page with the option "guided-use entire disk".
The magazine says that "if u have already windows installed, ubuntu will take little space away from it for itself".
However, when I am at that stage with the installation process, the page shows a little graph with disk usage before and after and it seems to indicate that Ubuntu would actually occupy all the residual space of the disk......Is there anything I am doing wrong?
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated
Thx
r

ps: a little disconforted by this I tried WUBI but it never worked. I tried installing UBUNTU via WUBI both from the 64 and the 32 and the install never went through. When booting up Ubuntu appears as a boot option but when selected I get an error message which unfortunately I cannot recall...my bad

lovelyvik293
December 7th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I think with the "guided-use entire disk" option it doesn't affect your windows installation.

fellowsh
December 7th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I think with the "guided-use entire disk" option it doesn't affect your windows installation.
Thx m8. Please let me ask you this. I understand from your kind post that I should not expect Ubuntu to erase windows. Am I right? However, would Ubuntu use up all the remaining free space in the disk?
Thx
r

Mark Phelps
December 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM
AFAIK, "guided use entire disk" does just that -- it reformats the entire disk, which is NOT what you want to do if you want to keep an existing installation.

fellowsh
December 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
AFAIK, "guided use entire disk" does just that -- it reformats the entire disk, which is NOT what you want to do if you want to keep an existing installation.
Thanx m8. Do u have any suggestion on how to proceed properly then?
Cheers
r