PDA

View Full Version : Has Ubuntu got more community controversy than other distros?

kwaanens
December 7th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Just wondering...

I had never really seen the flame wars on Ubuntuforums until I subscribed to the the RSS-feed, and I'm somewhat stunned...

I'm not really that into the finer details of open source development that I can tell if the aggression levels should be this high, but it has made me wonder if other communities have so much controversy.

So, what about Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, SUSE etc?
And what about the Windows user "community"?

- Ketil

PS. Maybe a good idea to be able to subscribe to RSS-feeds that doesn't include the scenes of the most frequent trench wars? It may put off new users, and indicate that "humanity to others" mean flame all your fellow community members? Just a thought, personally I don't care.

23meg
December 7th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I assure you, it has less. You just happened to step in during a "hot" period.

matthew
December 7th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Ubuntu has far less controversy and flaming than most, it's just wherever humans are involved there are bound to be disagreements, some of which end up in petty bickering. :) You just noticed during an especially active moment in typically mild and quiet forums.

kwaanens
December 7th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Ubuntu has far less controversy and flaming than most, it's just wherever humans are involved there are bound to be disagreements, some of which end up in petty bickering. :)

Very true! Sometimes I miss the good old days where you had to actually send a letter that took more than a few seconds to be known publically. E-mail and forums may just be a too easy way to fight :)

You just noticed during an especially active moment in typically mild and quiet forums.

I hope so! Well, on the other hand, it's a nice way to feel saner when I see people fly off the handle in 2 seconds, for what seems to be minor details :)

Anyway, it's nice to see that most flame wars are kept out of the help sections!

- Ketil

aysiu
December 7th, 2005, 10:39 PM
With the possible exception of Mepis (which, in my experience, was a wonderful feel-good place... with very little knowledgeable support), Ubuntu seems the most friendly of the Linux forums I've seen.

I have to say, though, that lately it seems as if there's more in-fighting... or at least more that I'm aware of. My first few months on these forums, it seemed it was more about FUD-spreading anti-Linux trolls trying to scare people off from using Ubuntu.

Now, it seems a lot more of the heat is Ubuntu advocates fighting with each other about how best to do stuff... Yuck.

xequence
December 7th, 2005, 11:32 PM
For a couple months now ubuntu forums has been getting more and more... Unfriendly. Sure, there is still a vast majority of great people, but there are still alot of fights and stuff. And not so nice people... (No names, but they are really making me annoyed :P)

Brunellus
December 7th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Ubuntu is the most self-consciously civil Linux community I've seen. That doesn't change the fact that what begin as merely technical discussions can become rather heated arguments.

In any group, there will be conflicts of personality, which can be and often are separate from the esteem in which the members of the community hold each other's technical skills.

raublekick
December 7th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't call it controversy, or even in-fighting.

I don't think things would have risen to the hot point it's at now if people on both sides didn't genuinly care about this place.

Honestly, I hate forums where there's a smiley face in every post.

agger
December 7th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Ubuntu is the most self-consciously civil Linux community I've seen. That doesn't change the fact that what begin as merely technical discussions can become rather heated arguments.

In any group, there will be conflicts of personality, which can be and often are separate from the esteem in which the members of the community hold each other's technical skills.

And then, it should not be forgotten that the forums and the Community part of the forums are nowhere near all of the Ubuntu community - most actual communication and work goes on on the mailing lists and IRC channels, as far as I can see.

aysiu
December 7th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Frankly, considering we have people from various nationalities, political backgrounds, religious backgrounds, age groups, and technological experience levels, I'm surprised at how well everyone does get along.

matthew
December 8th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Frankly, considering we have people from various nationalities, political backgrounds, religious backgrounds, age groups, and technological experience levels, I'm surprised at how well everyone does get along.
I agree.

joflow
December 8th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Some people in the community don't take constructive criticism of the OS very well. Nothing is perfect including GNU/Linux and just because someone may point out what they see as a flaw in the OS doesn't mean that they're a troll or anti-linux. And it doesn't mean that linux isn't for them and they should another platform. They just want to see what they think are improvements made to the OS.

The majority of the people in GNU/Linux are wonderful/helpful people. But I've noticed that the zealots can be real assholes sometimes.

atoponce
December 8th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Just wondering...

I had never really seen the flame wars on Ubuntuforums until I subscribed to the the RSS-feed, and I'm somewhat stunned...

I'm not really that into the finer details of open source development that I can tell if the aggression levels should be this high, but it has made me wonder if other communities have so much controversy.

So, what about Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, SUSE etc?
And what about the Windows user "community"?

- Ketil

PS. Maybe a good idea to be able to subscribe to RSS-feeds that doesn't include the scenes of the most frequent trench wars? It may put off new users, and indicate that "humanity to others" mean flame all your fellow community members? Just a thought, personally I don't care. One thing I really enjoy about this community here at UnbuntuForums is the friendly nature of everyone willing to help. When I first started using Linux, I spent a great deal of time asking questions in many Linux forums, and the overwhelming response was: "Firgure it out, noob!" or "That question was already asked- search before asking!" or "What's wrong with you? Never heard of Google?" Luckily, I have a forgiving attitude, and didn't let it bother me, or I could've been turned away from Linux forever.

Here at UbuntuForums, I find that people are eager to help, and don't treat me like I'm nobody when I have a question. Sure, there have been some heated discussions for one reason or another, but they are few and far between.

I will say this, however. It is amazing how easy it is to push peoples buttons! Some people have to have the last word, and will keep posting until they do. I would say, however, that out of the 50,000+ members, there are only a select handful that keep up the tension. Overall, UbuntuForums is by far the most friendly forums, and just plain rocks!

matthew
December 8th, 2005, 03:04 AM
The majority of the people in GNU/Linux are wonderful/helpful people. But I've noticed that the zealots can be real a******* sometimes.I think this holds true in any setting worldwide...at least in my experience living and traveling on 5 continents and numerous countries. The majority of people worldwide are wonderful/helpful people. As for the minority, well they can be a real pain sometimes. :)

Edited because of a silly typo.