PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After XP installtion, i can't boot ubuntu :S

markomk
December 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
hi,
i just format partion (windows) and install Windows XP,after the installtion i can't boot ubuntu :( i try to reinstall but ubuntu partition is OK :S and i stop reinstall. i try many forums but nothing help. i hope here i can find the solution
tnx

maybe this can help a little

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
(hd0,4)

Rocket2DMn
December 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Did you format your whole hard drive with XP? If so, then you lost your Ubuntu install and need to reinstall Ubuntu. If you kept your dual boot setup, what you are experiencing is normal - Windows overwrites the MBR so GRUB isn't available. That means you need to reinstall GRUB - there are a number of ways to do this. Please see community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
I suggest option 3, using the SuperGrubDisk, as it is the easiest. I've never used the Auto Super Grub Disk, but that may be worth a try, otherwise getting the standalone image and burning it (as an image) to a cd works as well. It is OK to overwrite the Windows Bootloader.

markomk
December 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM
i have 1 HDD drive..with 320 GB HDD
160 GB for Windows XP
160 GB for Ubuntu

i format only Windows Xp partition

Rocket2DMn
December 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
OK, then assuming you did your XP install correctly, Ubuntu should still be there. That just means you have to reinstall GRUB. Follow the directions I gave above, and if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask - don't feel you have to do anything you aren't comfortable with, ask first.

markomk
December 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I just wanna say BIG TNX :) i'm on ubuntu now :):popcorn:
you save me hours hours hours of work.):P
btw sorry for the bad English