PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting...

looi76
December 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/125/06122008305ev6.jpg

I have a duplicate copy of these lines:
Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic
Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic (recovery mode)

I only have 1 Ubuntu installation. How can I remove the duplicate lines because I don't think there is any use of them, right?

inobe
December 7th, 2008, 09:19 AM
they aren't duplicates, those are two different kernels.

that may have happened after a major update, a kernel update.

edit: this has happened to me using opensuse, it was useful when something broke with a kernel update, i was able to start from the prior kernel.

with ubuntu this has never happened.

cdtech
December 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM
You should keep the recovery mode and at least a last kernel image. If you have issues with the first kernel, you could boot with the old kernel image.

taurus
December 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM
The recovery mode is for when you screw up your machine and won't be able to boot, then you need to boot into recovery mode to fix the problem.

And if you want to remove the older kernel, 2.6.27.7, you can do that with synaptic, System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager.

andreasis
December 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM
If you really just don't want the options appearing on every boot, or only, let's say, the first two options, you can edit your menu.lst file by
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and commenting out (putting a # in front of) the lines corresponding to the options that you don't want to see in grub.

looi76
December 7th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Oh! I didn't realise that they were different 8-[. How can I hide Windows XP Professional?

awam66
December 7th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Oh! I didn't realise that they were different 8-[. How can I hide Windows XP Professional?

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (that's a lower ase ell not a one) and comment out the lines with Windows (use a # at the line start.

andreasis
December 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
You can use the command in my previous post or use your favorite editor.

DO MAKE SURE THAT: you comment out all lines related to the windows xp entry like so:

# title Windows XP Professional
# root (hdx,x)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1

and not just

# title Windows XP Professional
root (hdx,x)
makeactive
chainloader +1

This won't remove XP of course. You can repartition the hard drive by reinstalling ubuntu so you'd have a clean disk with only linux on it, if that's what you'd be looking for.