PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] newbie needs help

majikhotline
December 7th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Hello ubuntu country,

I found a program that i would like to have but it's made i think for red hat, it's a .rpm file how do i install it, i also have the source code for it but i have never complied before. I also tried synaptic package manager but it could not find the program. What is my first step?

frankleeee
December 7th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Hello ubuntu country,

I found a program that i would like to have but it's made i think for red hat, it's a .rpm file how do i install it, i also have the source code for it but i have never complied before. I also tried synaptic package manager but it could not find the program. What is my first step?

I have never installed a rpm but this link came up on a Google search.
http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/09/23/installing-using-an-rpm-file/

cmay
December 7th, 2008, 03:40 AM
you can use the package alien from synaptic . or better i think just try compile it your self. its actually pretty simple if it works . 3 steps if the programs source files just compiles like they are supposed to do. it is almost just configure , make and make install and it will say this in the read me file how it is done. should be easy enough if the dependencies are installed first.

snova
December 7th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Compilation from source would probably be the better option. What is the program, so we can make sure you install some necessary packages first?

Whatever the program, you'll most certainly need the 'build-essential' package installed.