PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading issues from Hardy to Intrepid

m@rk0
December 6th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Hi everyone, i'm new here, but i use Ubuntu from about a year, and i feel like i finally find THE operative sistem.
Yesterday i upgraded my Hardy to Intrepid with the Updater mode, and everything it's okay, but now i've a problem:
i'm a videogamer, and i really like Guitar Hero games, but now i'm playing with the PC clone, frets on fire. I'm using a modded version, the famous Alarian Mod 3.030, who plays smoothly on Hardy. On Intrepid, it isn't so smoothly... unfortunately, it's like "playing with old games on windows using a dual core AMD"; the game it's very "laggy" (seems to lag, but, it can't be, it's a offline game!)
I'm so sad now, i thought Ubuntu was perfect, but if i can't fix this problem, i really don't know what to say.

My pc:

Amd Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (2.4 ghz)
Ati Radeon x1550 (512 mb + hypermemory)
4 GB Ram 667mhz
Acer-Based Motherboard
motherboard's audio card (Realtek i think)

Please, help me!

inobe
December 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
did you have an option to enable restricted drivers after the upgrade ?

please provide as much information as you can

m@rk0
December 7th, 2008, 10:01 AM
did you have an option to enable restricted drivers after the upgrade ?

please provide as much information as you can

thanks for the answer!
yes, i saw the icon of restricted drivers on the higher bar, and it said they were enabled... today i tried Toribash, and it runs without problems, and the same for SuperTux2...
i noticed a little thing... the "lag" effect in Frets on Fire starts only when the song stars... i thinked it could be a codec problem, but i can't understand why before upgrading was okay and now is laggy...
i executed a command yesterday, now i don't remember well which was it, but the answer was something like "Hardware rendering: YES"
i also thinked it could be a processor's problem, but still i can't figure out why this problem is "jumped out" now...
if you need other informations, tell me ho to provide the to you =D
thanks