PDA

View Full Version : Multiple workspaces

NintendoTogepi
December 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Is it weird I haven't found a use for these? I got rid of them (along with the whole bottom bar) and I don't miss them at all.

dannytatom
December 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I only have 2 set up and one is a terminal fullscreen. Other than that, I don't do enough to need it. :p

billgoldberg
December 6th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I can't live without them.

Screenshot taken right now below.

PurposeOfReason
December 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I donīt minimize anything as well as abuse workspaces and alt+tab.

dannytatom
December 6th, 2008, 11:14 PM
My laptop would kill over if I tried to keep that many things open at once, much less use compiz with it. :(

jomiolto
December 6th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Is it weird I haven't found a use for these? I got rid of them (along with the whole bottom bar) and I don't miss them at all.

No, I don't think it's weird. People just have different ways of using their computers, that's all. I've seen people with around dozen windows open in a single work space (well, that was in Windows, so there wouldn't have been any workspaces), yet they were still able to navigate through the windows quite efficiently through the taskbar.

Personally, though, I've always liked having a lot of windows open, but I seldom have more than four in a single work space, because after that I start becoming very clumsy with them, whereas with multiple workspaces I'm much more efficient and feel more comfortable. Lately I've started feeling rather constricted with four work spaces and I'm thinking of switching to use six :p

Rokurosv
December 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I find them handy when I'm working in different types of things at once, for example if I'm using Gimp and/or Inkscape I put them in a workspace and I put my browser,email client,terminal and text editor in another workspace, I only use 2 workspaces though, anymore and I just wouldn't use them.

Riffer
December 6th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I use 4 and as Rokurosv said I use them to different things in. Email in one, Browser in another and RhythmBox in another. I like as little clutter on my desktop and this helps me do that.

RiceMonster
December 6th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Workspaces were one of the things that got me interested in Linux. They help eliminate clutter so much. I can't live without them.

avaralom
December 6th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I've never really used the multiple workspaces before.. my laptop couldn't handle it, I'm sure.

But now that I'm on my desktop, I'm trying it out. It has it's advantages, though I'll probably forget about whatever I have on the second workspace.

OutOfReach
December 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
The workspaces have definately saved me from an extremely cluttered desktop. I love workspaces, I couldn't live without them!

insane_alien
December 6th, 2008, 11:56 PM
i used to have no use for them when i first migrated from windows. slowly i started using them, my workspaces multiplied and when i breifly had to revert to windows i found it intolerable without them.

i have a workspace for:
general use
office use
email
virtual machines
simulation
media processing(picture/video/audio editing)
stuff(things that i don't need to touch but would like a window open to monitor them such as bittorrent, i also usually have something monitoring whats going on with my computer)
maintenance(terminal pretty much)

so 8 in all. not very easy to go back to a single workspace now.

Paqman
December 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
It took me a while to start using workspaces after switching from Windows. In fact, it was only when the cube came along that it all clicked in my head. Flipping the cube around to switch seems to make sense to me. If there's no animation I don't feel like i'm in a different "space".

I really find machines without Compiz more difficult and boring to use these days. It's a great app.

NintendoTogepi
December 6th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Why so many?! Isn't that what windows are for? :o

smartboyathome
December 7th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I like workspaces. I usually use one for school, one for other stuff, one for games, and a misc one. E17 is so great with its simple workspaces. ;)

RiceMonster
December 7th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I've never really used the multiple workspaces before.. my laptop couldn't handle it, I'm sure.

Why wouldn't it be able to handle it? They don't take extra resources... I have 4 workspaces and I'm on a laptop.

I like workspaces. I usually use one for school, one for other stuff

Yeah I do that kind of thing a lot too. Often it's like: School stuff I'm working on | information for school stuff | other stuff

handy
December 7th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I use 4 workspaces, & I'm jumping around in them all the time.

I love workspaces, it is a great way not to have such crowded desktops.

tjwoosta
December 7th, 2008, 01:04 AM
i use elive and the defualt install comes with 12 workspaces setup like a giant desktop wall

i set it to have 6 instead because i thought 12 was going a little overboard

i almost always have at least 4 of my workspaces loaded up, mostly because i hardly ever minimize windows

(changing desktops to switch apps is basically the same as minimizing windows or using alt-tab except i can simply slide the mouse over to change apps, not to mention that it just looks cooler)

insane_alien
December 7th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Why so many?! Isn't that what windows are for? :o

yes, but its either something like 24 windows on one workspace where they clog up the taskbar and distract me or spread out over 8 workspaces where everything is easy to find, organized and doesn't distract me.

Barrucadu
December 7th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I have 10 workspaces, and can't use a computer efficiently without at least 3. I am quite slow using Windows, as I'm not used to having multiple things open in one workspace any more.

linuxguymarshall
December 7th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I have 16 for the sole purpose of bad *** compiz effects. I only use two though.

dannytatom
December 7th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Haha, screenshots? Does the cube become a Hexadecagon? :O

Polygon
December 7th, 2008, 01:52 AM
they are really useful if you have stuff like gimp, or doing homework when you have to have multiple browser tabs/OOo windows open.