PDA

View Full Version : Question about Preload 0.6.3

CraigPaleo
December 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I've noticed that the latest version of Preload is 0.6.3 but the version in the repository is 0.4-5.

Is there a reason for the older version being in the repository. Has anyone tried the latest version? If so, are there any bugs/problems with it? Is it any better or worse than the one in the repository?

Vadi
December 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I've noticed that the latest version of Preload is 0.6.3 but the version in the repository is 0.4-5.

Is there a reason for the older version being in the repository. Has anyone tried the latest version? If so, are there any bugs/problems with it? Is it any better or worse than the one in the repository?

Same reason why you're asking...

CraigPaleo
December 6th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Same reason why you're asking...

I see. So, there hasn't been enough testing for the latest to be worthy of inclusion in the repository. That makes sense.

I do like preload. It now loads Firefox lickety-split, though it took about a week for preload to "learn" it.

I had always wondered why Macs load Safari and Windows loads Explorer each faster than they load Firefox but from what I've read, they use their own versions of Preload for their own applications and not for the third-party apps. I figured they somehow gave their own apps some kind of edge.

I really like how preload figures out which apps you use most often and goes by that rather than by the apps origins or DE environment.

Mandriva must have something similar but pre-configured because Firefox pops up immediately while some KDE apps take longer - even Konqueror.

Vadi
December 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Yep, preload is definitely a nice thing.

And don't worry about getting it updated - it will be in the next ubuntu version :)

Paqman
December 6th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I had always wondered why Macs load Safari and Windows loads Explorer each faster than they load Firefox but from what I've read, they use their own versions of Preload for their own applications and not for the third-party apps. I figured they somehow gave their own apps some kind of edge.

Kind of. For Windows, IE is so intrinsically bound up with the OS that large parts of it are always loaded up whenever the machine is running. So it's not really an intelligent app like preload doing clever things, it's just the way Windows is built.

No idea about OS X, though.

CraigPaleo
December 7th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Yep, preload is definitely a nice thing.

And don't worry about getting it updated - it will be in the next ubuntu version :)

Awesome! Though I don't know how it could work much better. :D

CraigPaleo
December 7th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Kind of. For Windows, IE is so intrinsically bound up with the OS that large parts of it are always loaded up whenever the machine is running. So it's not really an intelligent app like preload doing clever things, it's just the way Windows is built.

No idea about OS X, though.

I can't, for the life of me, find what it's called now but OS X does have a similar feature to windows. It may be that Coco apps are as intrinsic to the Mac OS as Windows apps are to Windows. Either way, third-party apps, on those OS's are much slower to load.

But, Ubuntu with preload makes it much less embarrassing when trying to convince others that Linux is actually faster without having them ask why the web browser or file manager takes so long to load.

Magnes
January 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I installed on Intrepid package for Jaunty from here:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/uninea/ubuntu/pool/main/p/preload/

Works for now. :)

ssam
January 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM

i'll give that a try. preload ought to be installed by default (at least until prefetch is ready).

mali2297
January 4th, 2009, 11:41 PM

I use CRUX and upgraded preload to 0.6 almost immediately when it was released in July 2008. It was seriously buggy; patches 0.6.1, 0.6.2, 0.6.3 came the same month. Since the last patch, it is stable.

Is it better than 0.4? I can't say, but I would like to think so.

binbash
January 5th, 2009, 08:23 AM

I will give it a try, thanks

CraigPaleo
January 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM

Thank you! I've just upgraded to preload-0.6.3 after completely removing 0.4-5. Wow! what a difference! It's now re-learning my most frequently used apps and I had forgotten how much longer it takes Firefox and others to load without preload installed and how much faster boot-times are. I'll restart my computer and the apps I want preloaded a few times. That should get me there faster.

Preload should really be installed by default on Ubuntu! I notice a lot posts asking, or complaining that Ubuntu appears slower to launch apps than Windows and Mac, which both have a similar feature. Ubuntu could even pre-configure preload to load commonly used apps such as Firefox, Network Manager, and Nautilus. If a user uses other apps more frequently than the most common, preload will figure it out by itself and adapt soon enough.

Where do I go to suggest this? Brainstorming?

Paqman
January 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Where do I go to suggest this? Brainstorming?

Yep, although it's already been suggested:

Install Preload by default (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/14092)

I've +1'd it btw. I agree, this would be a good default app.

CraigPaleo
January 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Yep, although it's already been suggested:

Install Preload by default (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/14092)

I've +1'd it btw. I agree, this would be a good default app.

Thanks for finding that. I've +1'd it too. Only 61 votes since October though. Could it just be that not many people know about it? I happened to find out about it by stumbling across an optimization thread myself.

Paqman
January 22nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
TCould it just be that not many people know about it?

Probably. Unfortunately we're not allowed to use Brainstorm's "promote this idea" images in sigs on this forum, which seems odd. A text link would work fine, though.