PDA

View Full Version : Getdeb supporter services - what do you think?

Vadi
December 6th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Getdeb.net is looking to introduce 'supporter services' - an optional service to appreciate people who support it (via 5€/month subscription) with enhanced features.

I'm curious as to what does everyone think about this?

Linky: http://blog.getdeb.net/2008/12/getdeb-supporter-services.html

The GetDeb Supporter Services will be a pilot service with the goal of providing better services for all users, but providing special access conditions to active supporters.
We require funding to expand our operations, so we'd like to appreciate our active supporters.

The benefits for all users will be:
- More and better software packages
- Better experience with major improvements in our site

The special conditions will be:
- Higher access priority for new releases - new releases will be exclusively available for Supporters during 3 days after it's release
- Increased bandwidth for downloads - Supporter releases will be provided by the master server
- Higher priority on packaging support requests

Supporter status will be granted to:
- Active developers/packagers/translators (2 months after their last contribution)
- Donators, using a 5 €/month rate
The status will be retroactively granted upon request.

With this support services the expectation is to increase interest by potential supporters and raise reasonable revenue, there are several projects like getdebi, playdeb and major website improvements that need further investment.

This will be a pilot service, it's continuity will be assessed with based on users/supporters feedback.

MetalMusicAddict
December 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Before you pursue this, I would get Canonical's opinion as using the Ubuntu name/logo in conjunction with a monetary venture might become an issue without an agreement.

That aside, I wouldn't use this service.

What's the motivation behind this? Simply to cover hosting costs?

Vadi
December 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Before you pursue this, I would get Canonical's opinion as using the Ubuntu name/logo in conjunction with a monetary venture might become an issue without an agreement.

That aside, I wouldn't use this service.

What's the motivation behind this? Simply to cover hosting costs?

Ubuntus name is not used, logo is used with permission.

Motivation - to possibly raise enough $ such that it can support at least one full-time person working on it. It would greatly expand getdeb then. Right now, it's done on the spare time of contributors - which are very, very few and lately became quite busy.

Vadi
December 7th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Oh, it says in the announcement even: "there are several projects like getdebi, playdeb and major website improvements that need further investment."